Question: Axolotl's together

chemgrl08

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I have 5 axies right now, and they are around 6 months, They're each about 5 inches long, except for one that has been lagging behind at around 3-4 inches (but he seems healthy.) Was wondering at what point do they grow out of the cannabilistic phase? That is, when can I put them in a tank together? Right now they are in separate containers with daily water changes and I keep them in a fridge for temperature control (I live in Miami, FL); they seem very happy and have been growing at a steady rate for the past 4 months since I've had them. I am just concerned because as they grow bigger, I need bigger containers, and I've been using a little mini fridge to keep them cool. They're going to outgrow their fridge! lol
I'm not opposed to keeping the current status quo for now, and I'd rather be safe than sorry, but it would be nice to finally have them out in a display tank where I can enjoy them more regularly.
Thanks in advance!

We got are 3 axies when they were 5 months old and put them in the same tank together they were fine with each other for almost a year, we only started noticing some problems with them after moomin layed eggs. Twiglet started bullying evo and moomin, constantly nipping at there legs.
We ended up putting twiglet in his own tank.

They're well out of their cannibalistic phase. That's usually over by the time they reach 3 inches or so.

If you have troubles keeping a tank cool, I suggest investing in a chiller. In your neck of the woods, it would e a wise investment.

The canabalistic stage as you call it is not really that, They react to movement to eat, the younger they are the quicker they become hungry and therefore will snap at anything that moves near their mouth.
some axolotls are naturally bolshie and dont tolerate company, in my experience though i have never had an aggresive one yet. I have 2 6 ft tanks one houses 3 large adults the other 4 adults, I also have a 5ft tank which houses 4 more adults but they are the size of Juvenilles, I have only had mishaps with limbs and tails if 2 of them have gone for the same worm at the same time, as a rule they just do their own thing.
they are quite content to lie on each other and spend half their time having piggy backs off each other without any problems. The best thing to do is jst try them out and watch out for any signs of aggressive behaviour.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back