Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls

vinny21

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is some kind of a list that says all the places where having an axolotl is legal?

And also, I'd like to know if it's legal in Canada? (Everywhere in Canada)?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
As for a list I can't seem to find one, and I looked through 23 pages on google and finally gave up. What I can tell you is that from what I can gather they are only illegal in California and New Jersey. They seem to be perfectly legal through all of Canada, however the problem you run into is that being that they are a CITES II species permits are needed for them to be imported and given the high cost of this process and the lost cost of Axolotls you will probably be hard pressed to find one. Hopefully that helps some and you have an in country source for the axie.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There is no list of where axolotls are legal and illegal. Many times, the legality is dictated by the states (or provinces). There's no way to compile state laws.

There are a few people in Canada who keep axolotls. You'll have to wait until they offer eggs/juveniles to get one.

vinny21

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your answers, even if I only reply like 4 weeks later :(

But I was in my exams week so that's why! Thank you though, I appreciate it!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you need to know the legality of any particular animal for your own province/state, the only way to get the current, correct information is to contact your local authorities. Here in the US at least, they aren't hard to find, it just requires using the phone instead of the Internet.:eek:

Any Internet list you might find is likely to be out of date. Compiling laws for all states/provinces and then keeping the info current is a monumental task. We've thought about doing it on C.org, but there's just no way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!