Axolotol/newt Question. Goldfish

Bump

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can i have axolotol and/or Newts in a tank with Goldfish, Koi Fish, and Pleco.?

It is 55 Gal tank. Rena xp4 filter.
And the Fish are all under 5 in. except for one Pleco ( 6 In ).
I do have some small Bass in the tank, too ( under 2 in)

Just wanted to know because of the Ammonia.

I was told the Gold and Koi fish put out.
Told I can not put in any other type of fish or they will die.

No really the only tank mates for Axolotls or other Axolotls, fish smaller then them will be eaten and fish bigger would love to eat some of there fluffy gills Axolotl pairs are only recommend in large tanks and only if there well fed

Water temperatures ar not the same. Someone will have a slow stressful death. If not lucky enough to be eaten. Please do your research on axolots and newts and you will in joy them for many years. Good luck and ask lots of questions.:happy:

Reactions: sde
I have seen people successfully keep ribbed newts with fire eels, but for the most part I would avoid mixing species. :)

Successfully? How many people? For how long? Ribbed newts, or any other newts and fire eels is a disaster waiting to happen. Fire Eels are carnivorous and grow to over three and a half feet long, they are tropical and have razor sharp defensive spines. Think about it.

Last edited:
Successfully? How many people? For how long? Ribbed newts, or any other newts and fire eels is a disaster waiting to happen. Fire Eels are carnivorous and grow to over three and a half feet long, they are tropical and have razor sharp defensive spines. Think about it.
I'm not saying that I did it, I mainly keep ambystomatids. All that I am saying is I saw an aquarium that seemed to have a perfectly fine, working, healthy ecosystem.

I'm not saying that I did it, I mainly keep ambystomatids. All that I am saying is I saw an aquarium that seemed to have a perfectly fine, working, healthy ecosystem.

A species mixing disaster waiting to happen. Things often go great till they go **** up, then it's all tears. Animals should not pay the price for human stupidity. Axolotls should not be mixed with any of the species mentioned in this thread.

You can only begin to suspect that you may be able to succesfully keep animals together without problems if you did so for at least 2 years. Then you still haven't proven anything. Seeing two species housed together for one moment doesn't tell you anything, no matter what the owner tells you. Be careful what to believe, because a lot of false claims are done for things like prestige and such.

QUOTE['m not saying that I did it, I mainly keep ambystomatids. All that I am saying is I saw an aquarium that seemed to have a perfectly fine, working, healthy ecosystem.]QUOTE

I'm not sure what you mean by ecosystem. There are many risks involved when mixing species, but absolutely no benefits to the poor animals involved. Defensive toxins or spines, or both with the Spanish ribbed newt, disease cross contamination, being out competed at feeding time and territorial aggression are just a few and all because you want to see them in the same tank.
Fire eels are an especially bad choice given their size and the tropical temperatures they require, although for some people aquatic animals are a disposable commodity to be flushed or dumped in the nearest pond/river when the novelty has worn off or things go wrong and move on to geckos or snake's, or whatever.
I wonder how many Fire eels live long enough to reach adulthood in captivity? Depressingly few, I should think.

it's hard enough avoiding carnage with just axolotls without adding koi and bass.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back