Axxie threw up worms

DarlingxCarla

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello hive mind!

Why would little Patty Mayonnaise throw up her worms. She ate them about two hours before and then threw up both. She‘s big enough to eat them, maybe she can’t digest them yet? The worms were petstore bought red wigglers. She was successful in keeping halves of worms down last night but this morning there was a lot of debris on the bottom which I thought was poo but I guess may have been worm.

Attachments

• 716D2323-DF89-4FE5-B2DF-A37D03E0A218.jpeg
    716D2323-DF89-4FE5-B2DF-A37D03E0A218.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
  • 56C3E1B5-DE3A-4E52-85B7-6AA78F075899.jpeg
    56C3E1B5-DE3A-4E52-85B7-6AA78F075899.jpeg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 93
Hello hive mind!

Why would little Patty Mayonnaise throw up her worms. She ate them about two hours before and then threw up both. She‘s big enough to eat them, maybe she can’t digest them yet? The worms were petstore bought red wigglers. She was successful in keeping halves of worms down last night but this morning there was a lot of debris on the bottom which I thought was poo but I guess may have been worm.
Not uncommon at all. If she is not uses to eating them whole, that could be part of it. Remeber, axolotls basically swallow their food whole so if they have a whole worm wiggling around in there, it can cause an upset stomach if they arent used to it. Also, species of red worms produce a bitter slime when they are stressed. its not uncommon for axolotls to outright refuse them and/or throw them up later. Try rinsing them in hot water or blanching them first to remove that bitterness. Obviously let the worms cool, or place them in cold water before feeding them.

Sooo now she’s just spitting out the worm chunks I offer. How long before she tries again or do I need to starve her out? ☹️ I’m so sick of blood worms 😐

@DarlingxCarla

Have you had any success with your axolotl? She is quite small, yes? I wonder if she would respond well to small, single earth worm. How long is she?

@DarlingxCarla

Have you had any success with your axolotl? She is quite small, yes? I wonder if she would respond well to small, single earth worm. How long is she?
She’s about 6” I trued small wigglers and she threw them up, I got nightcrawlers today and she refused chunks. Should I get a wiggly bit? I think she’s over it since the regurgitation. I’m still feeding bloodworms. I’ll finish this pack and might starve her out and try a wiggly one and see how that goes. I’m so over bloodworms and their mess.

No no, don't starve her out. Just finish the blood worms, let her get a little bigger, then try red wrigglers, the smaller earthworms. That's what I give my girl and she's about a foot long.

Whenever I feed my axolotl something messy, I take her out and put her in her tub, that way I don't have to clean her tank immediately. Also, you may want to try small pellets, let me link you to the ones I use.

They're small, like the size of a grain of rice. If you take your little guy out and put them in a tub and just take your time, dropping them so they fall and reach towards their mouth, their instinct to bite SHOULD kick in. That's how we did it with ours. We wasted a lot of pellets at first...

She’s about 6” I trued small wigglers and she threw them up, I got nightcrawlers today and she refused chunks. Should I get a wiggly bit? I think she’s over it since the regurgitation. I’m still feeding bloodworms. I’ll finish this pack and might starve her out and try a wiggly one and see how that goes. I’m so over bloodworms and their mess.
Are they Canadian nightcrawlers? or european nightcralwers? If they are your typical canadian nightcralers that you get in a pet store or bait shop, im not surprised she spit them out. For some reason, the acceptance rate on those are very low. Red wigglers when rinsed in hot water and/or blanched are much better. You can also order european nightcrawlers online ( I use uncle jim's worm farm). At 6 inches, bloodworms are basically like feeding french fries. They arent going to do her any good nutrition-wise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back