Axy won't eat new food

Marceline

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Display Name
Menique
Hi all. I have fed my axolotl only nightcrawlers since I got him almost 3 years ago. Unfortuonately now with the lockdown no bait shops are open. I was lucky enough to get a bait shop that was doing stocktakes. Their nightcrawlers were all dead so i had to stock up on red wigglers knowing that he might not like them because of the foul excretion. I fed him yesterday and he seemed to enjoy them, but when i passed his tank again he regurgitated all of them. Now when i feed him he is eager to bite them but as soon as they're in his mouth he spits them out. I don't know what to do. I fed him a baby dubia roach yesterday but he only wanted one and seemed to be disgusted by it. It's winter here so i can't gather nightcrawlers out of our garden as a last resort. How can i motivate him to eat the worms?

Murk

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Oh yes, they can be picky eaters, especially if they've been fed only one type of food for so long.
Now that he decided not to like the red wigglers, he'll probably spit them out as soon as he tastes it.

The easiest way to get a picky axolotl to eat your food is obviously to starve them. If they're really hungry they'll eat anything. It's up to you if you think that would be ethical. Do be aware that they can go weeks without food if necessary, so it depends on the stubbornness of the axolotl how long this would take.

A slightly more pet-friendly method is to get the axolotl used to the fact that not all food is the same. Giving them strange or new foods every now and then teaches them that weird stuff can be food as well.
The easiest food to start with would be high-fat, high-protein; they really seem to like that (as do humans, I guess). If you have any kind of fish, shrimp or beef in the fridge, try to give him a piece.
This is absolutely not a good stock food, but they really enjoy it as a treat, and most importantly it might get him used to different foods.

If all else fails, I assume web shops are still open and still deliver? Axolotl pellets are cheap, last long, and most axolotls like them (though they're hard and small, so it takes some getting used to as well). Delivery might take a while, but if your axolotl is an adult he'll easily last two weeks without food.

Marceline

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Display Name
Menique
Oh yes, they can be picky eaters, especially if they've been fed only one type of food for so long.
Now that he decided not to like the red wigglers, he'll probably spit them out as soon as he tastes it.

The easiest way to get a picky axolotl to eat your food is obviously to starve them. If they're really hungry they'll eat anything. It's up to you if you think that would be ethical. Do be aware that they can go weeks without food if necessary, so it depends on the stubbornness of the axolotl how long this would take.

A slightly more pet-friendly method is to get the axolotl used to the fact that not all food is the same. Giving them strange or new foods every now and then teaches them that weird stuff can be food as well.
The easiest food to start with would be high-fat, high-protein; they really seem to like that (as do humans, I guess). If you have any kind of fish, shrimp or beef in the fridge, try to give him a piece.
This is absolutely not a good stock food, but they really enjoy it as a treat, and most importantly it might get him used to different foods.

If all else fails, I assume web shops are still open and still deliver? Axolotl pellets are cheap, last long, and most axolotls like them (though they're hard and small, so it takes some getting used to as well). Delivery might take a while, but if your axolotl is an adult he'll easily last two weeks without food.
Thank you I'm just worried l. He has been losing a lot of weight so i don't want to starve him. I don't know how old he is so he might be old but he still loves food. I will check if i can find an online supplier thank you for the info.

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Marceline,

You can try doing a slight blanching of the red wrigglers in hot tap water. This will partially kill the worm but not cook them then quickly rinse them in cold water to wash off the defensive slime they produce. I have found it had worked with my guys!

vagus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Vagus
if you have a petstore open nearby that sells frozen daphnia, this has been a surefire winner with babies, sick axos, and picky eaters. It can gum up the filter super fast if you let too much melt and disperse, however.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lanalotl:
    Hi I recently rescued a lotl (i did weeks of research before rescuing) Hes mabey 5 or 6 years of age..the previous owner could not remember the exact age of him. I got him from her as he was or had been picked on by his tank mate another lotl who was bough with him from every younger age, I noticed one of his gills, a middle one at the end had split in two? And is slightly more floppy? He also appears or mabey I'm just over worried to mabey have lost some feathers, is that normal to lose some?...all levels in the tank are fine, but wondered if theres and advice anyone could give me as an experienced owner to a new one.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Axolotl Queen:
    @Lanalotl Sounds like the gills may have been nipped by the tank mate. If he is in his own tank and the parameters etc are all good, then he should grow them back and they should go back to full health and strength. However, depending on how old the injury is they may not fully grow back if they have been constantly nipped at.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Smknmom421:
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening? We just did a water change and after freaking out and whipping around the tank, an hour later they look like this. It won't let me send a pic. The edges of their gills are white and it looks like they have skin shedding off
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That sounds like severe skin damage. If you post a thread on the forum, you can attach pictures.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    It sounds like something went wrong with the water change, so this could be very dangerous. Did you use a dechlorinator? Could it be there are traces of chlorine or soap in the water? (Or for example, in the bucket you used?)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Normally, I would recommend taking them out of the tank asap and putting them in a tub with fresh water, but if there's something wrong with your tap water or dechlorinator, that might not help either. Do you have acces to bottled water or rain water?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    I think my axie is dying, he’s never had any issues before, I’ve had him 3 years, today I noticed some fluffy looking stuff coming from his genital area so I took him out of his tank and did a full tank clean to make sure the water wasn’t infected as I thought it was fungus and then I noticed he had a cut on his belly which was only small about 5 hours ago and now it’s spread to all of his belly, what do I do I’m freaking out
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    Update about my axie, unfortunately he has died over night, he looked as if he was bruised allover his belly, his mucus layer had also started to come off.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    Anyone here from DMV?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Hi I have 2 4in juveniles (I’ve had them about 2 weeks and they are doing well I think they’ve grown a little already honestly) but I am supposed to go on a 5-6 day vacation in October about 3-4 months from now. I am wondering how I should go about their care when I am gone. I thought about putting them in separate (fairly big) containers with live plants and/or bubblers with a fan in the dark and either fridging them (my last plan) but I am hoping to to either have someone I trust come feed them and turkey baste waste out or just leave them out and clean the containers before we leave and have someone come check on them once or twice. Does any of this sound like a good or bad idea? I want the best for them. All help appreciated :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    @patrickstar116, do you still have your fire salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • patrickstar116:
    @Ganaa, I do you may message me if you wish
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    hi.....
    +1
    Unlike
  • JDeslippe21:
    Hi, so I have 2 male axolotls and about an hour ago they were both perfectly fine and now only one of them has his tail curling up and his gills are slightly curled?? But other than that they’re both acting normally
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Could be he's just excited, spooked or temporarily stressed, which could pass in a few hours. It could also be an indicator of other problems. Do you have any recent water parameters?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Does anyone have any idea how to help with high ammonia levels? I have the API freshwater master kit and everything else’s test results were great besides ammonia. I did a 50% water change and I use API products including ammonia lock.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Help! I got my first axolotl two days ago and they have stopped eating. They ate a few frozen blood worms the first day and haven’t eaten or been interested in food since. I feed them frozen blood worms and the tank is around 64 degrees. I do have a filter that moves sometimes and I noticed them swimming up to it, I have a new filter and a fan coming today or tomorrow. I leave the worms in the tank or a little bit before taking them out so I don’t know if they ate when I wasn’t looking. I know it takes a while for them to digest. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge they can share? The pet store I bought them from didn’t have gravel or sand in the tank so I’m not sure if theres an issue or if I’m just impatient. Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu, how big they are? also for substrate, i would not do gravel at all I would either do sand or none at all!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    They are about 2-3 inches long and I have them in a bare bottom tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head away ( that's what mine do) if that does not work try to get some live brine shrimp and see if they eat that. baby axolotl prefer live food over frozen food as the frozen food is too cold for them or they can't eat it in one go( that's if you do the blocks) mine eat chopped up frozen thawed shrimp. as for them not eating from what I have experienced with my second axolotl, I got her when she was about an inch long and she ate every day, when they start getting 3-4 inches long they will gradually slow down there eating. and if you really want to do substrate I would do sand because if they do ingest a little bit it won't hurt them.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Thank you so much for the information and advice! They are eating again, they ate a lot today. I think it might have been stress from the move or digesting old food, I also noticed they ate some of the food left in the tank (I removed the rest). I’m going to keep the tank bare bottom.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu,your so welcome im glad to be of help! and I'm glad that they are eating as well!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AidanD has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: AidanD has left the room. +1