Babies after only 7 days?

KirbyandYoshi

Reaction score
Country
United States
So after only 7 days of being laid I had a hatchling and by the 10th day all my live eggs hatched. I now am a grandma to 17 little swimmers in less than two weeks. Is this normal? I thought hatching process was 14 to 21 days... Weirdest part was the thermometer on the tank said the water is at 66° F.... I thought they only hatched quick if the temp was in the high 70s... anyways here's a pic of my premies.

Attachments

• Resized_20210215_095817(1).jpg
    Resized_20210215_095817(1).jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 821
Newly hatched axolotls should be ok 24-48 hours after since they are still absorbing the egg this should give you plenty of time to hatch some brine shrimp out.

Newly hatched axolotls should be ok 24-48 hours after since they are still absorbing the egg this should give you plenty of time to hatch some brine shrimp out.

I know. They've been eating for a few days now. The pic I shared shows 2 of them with bbs all around them. I am just shocked they hatched in 7 days from being laid.

I know. They've been eating for a few days now. The pic I shared shows 2 of them with bbs all around them. I am just shocked they hatched in 7 days from being laid.
Not that unusual at that temp. In my last batch, I had some hatching by 8 days and all hatched within 10 at 66 degrees. 14-21 is definitely normal at lower temps, but anything above about 64 and they can hatch quicker.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back