baby axie stressed after cleaning tank?

jennag446

Reaction score
Country
United States
i recently got a baby axolotl. the tank had been cycled for about a month. today, i cleaned it for the first time. i took my axie out in a plastic container filled with water, and put it back in once finished. for about half an hour after, it was showing signs of stress, such as a curled tail. now it’s ok but i’m really confused on what happened. was it stressed because that was it’s first time with a tank being cleaned or because there could potentially be something else wrong? all levels such as ph, nitrate, nitrate, and ammonia is well. i did not take any pictures

Some generally leave their axolotl in the tank while they clean it though if it's a baby, I can understand why you took it out. Accidents can easily happen.

I think it's just that it was moved as that can cause stress. As long it was appropriately acclimated, it's probably nothing to worry about.

being tubbed then put back in the tank is more than likely the cause of the stress.
some people tub whilst cleaning, some don't. provided you are careful there's no need to remove your axolotl whilst cleaning.
always dechlorinate the water before adding to the tank even if the axolotl isn't in the tank the chlorine can still harm the filter bacteria.
always wait at least 24hrs after a water change to test the water parameters as the dechlorinator can cause false readings.
make sure do regular water tests even if everything looks ok.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back