Illness/Sickness: Baby axolotl help?

Erikku

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys! This isn't my first Axolotl I've raised, but the second so while I know a lot of basics I could use some help.
Bought a baby axolotl and it came to me way smaller than I expected, so I wasn't super prepared for taking care of such a little guy. The past few days he's been showing signs of stress. He doesn't move a ton and his tail is bent. He's in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter and we've been feeding him once a day until he stops eating, which is usually 1-2 blackworms or dried bloodworms when the pet store doesn't have blackworms in.
I need to dig out my water test kit, not sure where I put it since I moved recently, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do for him? Do I need to be feeding him more? He does look pretty skinny. Is the tank too big for him? The last one I raised I got him at 3-4 times this ones size.
I just want the best for this baby.
Any advice?
Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20220301_062919252.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20220301_062919252.NIGHT.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,055
Ph, ammnia, try testing pH, it may work, so..

Just throwing a few questions out there -

1.Did you cycle the 10g? If so, then good but If not, I would do a 75% water change daily with a good dechlorinator, like Prime.
2. What's the water temp?
3. Does he/she have a hid?

Just throwing a few questions out there -

1.Did you cycle the 10g? If so, then good but If not, I would do a 75% water change daily with a good dechlorinator, like Prime.
2. What's the water temp?
3. Does he/she have a hid?
I did! Had it set up well before the baby came in.
I can't get a read on the temperature right this second since I'm at work but I can get one when I get home!
And he does have a hide but it's kinda a more open one so I can try swapping it with a more enclosed hide.

two things,1. add an air-stone into the tank to keep oxygen levels up, 2. get the levels checked, there is something in the water he/she doesn't like because the colour has gone from his/her gills.
do a 50% water change, check water levels and keep an eye out for signs of fungus on its gills.

Alright so he's still got life in him, he wiggles at my touch, but he's now laying upside down on the bottom and not moving much at all. I just got home from work and I set up a tub of all new water for him but he's looking real bad. I still gotta dig my test kit out but is there anything I can do for him in the meantime?

Alright so he's still got life in him, he wiggles at my touch, but he's now laying upside down on the bottom and not moving much at all. I just got home from work and I set up a tub of all new water for him but he's looking real bad. I still gotta dig my test kit out but is there anything I can do for him in the meantime?
is the water dechlorinated, make sure it is, also make sure it is aerated with an airstone, only have the water in the tub deep enough to submerge him/her, change the water daily, make sure once he is in the tub to try and get the water to cool down as much as possible without putting in fridge. some people recommend putting an almond/catappa leaf in with them as it can be soothing. if you do decide to fridge him/her read the axolotl fridging guide which is on this site under "Sick Axolotl?"

is the water dechlorinated, make sure it is, also make sure it is aerated with an airstone, only have the water in the tub deep enough to submerge him/her, change the water daily, make sure once he is in the tub to try and get the water to cool down as much as possible without putting in fridge. some people recommend putting an almond/catappa leaf in with them as it can be soothing. if you do decide to fridge him/her read the axolotl fridging guide which is on this site under "Sick Axolotl?"
Yeah, I always put dechlorinator in my water and the little guy has an air stone in with him now. I don't have any almond leaf on hand but if he makes it through the night I can always get him one at the fish specialty store nearby. I have his container floating in his original tank to keep it cool, too.
Thank you so much for your fast response

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back