Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby gold axie, with gold eyes?

Gelato Energy

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone knows if its normal as i cant find anything, don't know if he's blind or anything.

Thank you.

Mikemclain

Reaction score
350C876B-879F-4611-9A09-2CC444766F28.jpeg
Does it look like this

Gelato Energy

Reaction score
Last week, haven't been able to take a photo just yet been busy

Attachments

• 20210617_194242.jpg
    20210617_194242.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 111

mollythecow

Reaction score
That is completely normal my friend has a one and he is great. They all most look see through; They will darken over time.

Gelato Energy

Reaction score
This is him now, currently eating a bit of chopped up earth worm (of which he loves, looks abit big but its fine). He's looking better and his skin is thickening up nicely.

Attachments

• 20210623_182121.jpg
    20210623_182121.jpg
    991.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210623_182110.jpg
    20210623_182110.jpg
    983.5 KB · Views: 103

Gelato Energy

Reaction score
And also I'm moving house on Friday and I'm debating on how to move the axolotls, how do you think I should do it?

mollythecow

Reaction score
Personally I would put them in a tub with their water from the tank. Travel with them next to you in the car. When you get home set them up. Or if your tank isn’t cycled keep them in a tub.

Gelato Energy

Reaction score
I'm going to be keeping the water in the tank because I don't wanna risk having to recycle, I don't know what the tap parameters are just yet aswell so I'm best to keep the water. I don't know how yet lol but ill do it. Ill just use my large containers and box them up with ice, maybe wrap a towel around it to prevent leakage.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Looks like a standard baby golden albino. When they are young, it's normal to be able to see their stomach and other organs a bit through the side.

In answer to your earlier question, albinos of all species have a history of some eyesight issues, including being extra sensitive to light. Axolotls are not an exception. Axolotls are already not great at being able to see and are very sensitive to light, so albinos are a bit extra. That being said, I have a golden albino myself who navigates and finds food perfectly well (though he does occasionally run into the tank walls or sees his own reflection and thinks it's food, lol). You should not have to worry much about eyesight, but I would recommend taking extra effort to keep the lighting on the tank very low due to their increased sensitivity.

As for transport, you can use a Tupperware container or a bucket. You just want something that has a secure lid that won't leak. I transport my axolotl for 2.5 hour drives about 6-8 times a year without a problem. I usually put him in a tupperware container, put it on the floor of my car, pack blankets around the perimeter to act as both insulation and to secure it in place, and blast the air conditioning as cold as it will go (I recommend dressing warmly). Depending on the length of your journey, I'd recommend stopping every hour or so to take the lid off and get some fresh oxygen in there. Get the tank set up as soon as you can upon arrival. If at all possible, it's ideal to have it set up beforehand.

In preparation for a drive, don't feed the axolotl for a feeding or two before you leave. They travel better on an empty stomach and are less likely to poop in the travel water. Feed a normal amount upon arrival.

I'm not 100% sure this is what you're saying, but if so, I would recommend against transporting water directly in the tank as water weighs about 8.5 pounds per gallon and transporting a glass aquarium can already be a nightmare even when it's empty and light. If you really want to take the water along, put it in lidded buckets (trust me, you will want lids for SURE), though to address your cycling concerns, the amount of bacteria in the water is negligible. As long as you keep the filter and any aquarium decor wet with tank water, you'll be transporting like 95% of your bacteria with you. The quality of the new tap water is a legitimate concern, but if all else fails, you can always go buy some spring water and treat it as necessary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1