Baby not eating

LoriML

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lori
Hi guys. I need some guidance making a decision. I have a 2 week old hatchling who isn't eating still. I've watched him closely in hopes that he'll be ok, but this far along and still not eating, euthanasia has crossed my mind. But that's not a decision I take lightly, so I'd like to ask your opinions. He's not malformed to me, his head shape is round, and he swims perfectly normal. I don't believe he's a pinhead, yet he hasn't had a full belly that I've seen. He acts so normal, but he can't be eating enough, can he? I don't want to poor thing to starve, so I'll do what I need to if it's the right thing, but the thought makes me sad. He's about 50-75% smaller than the rest of his clutch. I just don't know if he's failure to thrive or not... This pic is zoomed, so it's a little blurry, but I hoped to show him close enough for you all to see. It's good for comparison hopefully. Maybe there's still hope, but I'm not convinced at this point. Everyone else is great, water, BBS..... Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9533.JPG
    IMG_9533.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 234
I have had a 1-2 in every large batch that look and swim fine but never eat. I don't know what defect causes it. Euthanasia or letting nature take it's course are your choices. You may find that it disappears one day soon into the belly of a sibling.

I always separate the smallest that cannot keep up with growth into a separate container. Gives them a chance to eat and survive. Then if they don't make it, they don't make it!

Ok thank you both :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back