Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bamboo?

G

grant

Ok I got some of that "lucky" bamboo stuff today because I got 3 stalks for only 2 bucks! But I was wondering if it will survive if fully submerged? And just a side question. I bought this fiberglass turtle thing because it was cheap and looked cool and I was thinking maybe I can cut out a door in its butt so it could be a house for my axies. Does anyone know if fiberglass would have an affect on the water?

(Message edited by gx3 on June 25, 2005)

andrew

Reaction score
I have no Idea, sorry but that turtle sounds sweet! I hope you can do it. Hey if you do please post pictures! Thanks
Andrew

G

grant

Yea I'm gonna post pictures as soon as I get acamera. I just put both of my axies in the tank because now it is completely cycled with no ammonia or nitrites and low nitrates. I'll post them as soon as I get the camera!

C

cynthia

Grant - I know people make home made tanks using fiberglass. I am not sure if there are some sort of special treatments or anything.

But If I were you I would paint it with a food grade epoxy (inside and out) and let it cure a few days then put it in a bucket of water and soak it and see if it leeches anything into the water.

G

grant

Good idea. Where can I get food grade epoxy? Would Home Depot or something have it?

R

rheann

Grant, Yes the Dracaena will survive fully submerged
happy.gif
I have had the lucky bamboo in my tank for a very long time. I had to take it out when I cleaned the thing and took it apart, but i have since added new stalks to the change. It will thrive very well in the tank, and the leaves will grow right up out of the water. The actual stalks wont grow any further, but teh leaves will. Good luck wiht it, it will make your tank look outstanding! It does a great number for mine
happy.gif

R

rheann

Here is some intresting Dracaena, it's curley, and a rip off! This plant pictures is $95! Don't invest money into plants like this. the Dracaena is forced to grow that way, that is why it looks like that, and it would be so much easier to just buy the seeds and grow it your self. I had a bonzai tree that I never got a chance to grow because someon threw it out, and it was very cheap for a little kit, where a "good" bonzai tree will sell upwards from the $100 to the $1000's. I hate those stupid target bonzai trees that are sure to die because they aren't properly cared for and sold at stores like Walmart and Target and have aquarium gravel glued to it so you couldn't even try to tend the roots or anything. Bonsai's grow according to how you wire it and trim the roots. Even those big Bermeliads in the malls and stores have to be replaced a lot because they aren't properly taken care of.
38355.jpg
if you want to put bamboo in your tank, and you knwo where there is a Hmong market or family owned asian market, shop there for it. I got a huge bunch for only $10, the stalks were healhty and long, my husbands uncle actually got it for me. In the long run, you will be happier with the less money you spend, because contrary to popular beliefe about the lucky bamboo, it will die and rot if not constantly cared for with lots of water and soft lighting, adn a little music ;)

G

grant

Yea I built a stand out of pvc pipe and some other stuff today that will fit in along the back of my tank that has the 3 bamboo stalks built into it. I'll post pictures if I can ever get a camera again lol.

N

nathan

with the fiber glass just make sure that the edges are not sharp if a fiber got under the axies skin it may cause some irritation as it does for humans
sick.gif

N

nathan

Hey I just noticed something. Do you have a wiled type axie if you do then whenever it come out of the turtle it will look like a strange excrement
animal.gif
you could say the turtles head is poking out
blob.gif

lick.gif
wink.gif

G

grant

Yea I have a dark wild type, and Rheann that is a rip off. I just got small stocks because I didn't want it to take up a lot of room. But I could have got curley ones for 1.50 each but they were to big.

dot

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Lucky Bamboo would be a good live plant for an axolotl tank, as it generally doesn't do well in environments under 20 degrees C. Plants like anacharis, java moss and hornwort are probably better suited.

R

rheann

Yes, I would agree with Dot, but mine is thriving ;) I keep my water regulated at the cooler temps, but I also keep the plant where it is suited to fix a small amount of natural light, which they don't prefer as much, but since it is in the water, it takes the light well. Hornwort would look outstanding! I love hornwort, it's such a cute plant
happy.gif
I was thinking of getting some Java moss too later down the road, so good luck with your plant choices, let us know! I love to knwo progress
happy.gif

G

grant

Yea I've tried lots of plants and so far only java moss has done well because there isn't much light in the tank most of the time. I will try the bamboo and see how it goes. It is always worth a try
happy.gif
I've been wanting some hornwart but haven't been able to find any around here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1