Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

bare bottom tank

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
pictures!!

Attachments

• IMG_20221013_105133604.jpg
    IMG_20221013_105133604.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20221013_131126274.jpg
    IMG_20221013_131126274.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20221013_105212844.jpg
    IMG_20221013_105212844.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20221013_111012_266.jpg
    IMG_20221013_111012_266.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 69

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
What happened to your axolotl that turned into a turtle???
my beloved boba-
she was a rescue//rehab female that i received my sophomore year. i ended up taking her along with her tank mate/"sister," jello for several months. probably took about a year total to completely fix them, but they were only living in my home for probably ~six months.
both of them were pretty severely ill, and it was a lot of work caring for both of them along with my personal axolotl, pictured above. i feel i should also mention that i was extremely ill at the time, and recovering from the effects of chemotherapy. i'm also disabled, and have mental health issues. all of that combined with the pressure of school and work got to me, and it didn't take long for me to realize i wasn't the best home for them long-term. i ended up teaching a close friend about them and their needs, and even went supply shopping with her. eventually, once her tanks were all set up and cycled, i rehomed them into her care.
i miss my girls a lot, but understand that i was not in a position to be able to care for all three of them at that time. it was best for her and her "sister"

p.s.
doing better now!! off chemo and my hair is back, mental health is generally better and i went to treatment for three months this spring. i am also in communication with detectives and CAN (child abuse network,) to hopefully put some terrible people away.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
The tank looks really good and it also looks so clean! :] Might I ask why you decided to switch to bare bottom?
i'm currently in a weird living situation and can't take mudkip with me, so she's living at my parents house. removing the substrate was a way to ensure the tank stays cleaner and also prevent the possibility of bad spots underneath the sand :)

JazAxolotl

Reaction score
i'm currently in a weird living situation and can't take mudkip with me, so she's living at my parents house. removing the substrate was a way to ensure the tank stays cleaner and also prevent the possibility of bad spots underneath the sand :)
Yeah, that make sense. Wishing you, your family, and your axie the best :]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1