Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
How many inches are there in a foot?
No, no, only joking! It's;
Can anyone tell me the correct way to measure the snout to vent length of a newt? Is it from the snout to the beginning of the cloaca, or the end of the cloaca where the tail starts?

I believe its where the vent ends. I'm not sure, but I'm very positive about it

OK, cheers for the link! :)
I've read that the tail length compared to snout to vent length can be used to sex juvenile Cynops newts, so I'm going to have a go with the ones I have at the moment and then see how they turn out when they mature.

Would love to hear how you get on Chinadog.

Yep, blackbun is right, its to the start of the cloaca. Unfortunately i didn't know that til earlier this year so all of my previous Taricha granulosa measurements are a bit off as i measured to the end of the cloaca :eek:

Yep, blackbun is right, its to the start of the cloaca. Unfortunately i didn't know that til earlier this year so all of my previous Taricha granulosa measurements are a bit off as i measured to the end of the cloaca :eek:

Dear Seth, when I was reading up on this, in the scientific research papers, a great number of scientists sounded as though this measurement criterium hadn't been universally accepted and so they specified what they did BUT emphasised researchers just need to be consistent in what they measure. So, in some papers you'd be correct.

Dear Seth, when I was reading up on this, in the scientific research papers, a great number of scientists sounded as though this measurement criterium hadn't been universally accepted and so they specified what they did BUT emphasised researchers just need to be consistent in what they measure. So, in some papers you'd be correct.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I guess i will just keep doing it as i am so that i keep the measurements consistent.

Yeah thanks everyone. :) I think the main thing when measuring for comparison is to be consistent, if I always measure to the start of the cloaca every time, the body to tail length ratios will still be recordable. I don't suppose anybody has any tips for getting accurate measurements from small (ish) juveniles with minimum fuss and stress to the newts involved?

Dear Chinadog maybe you could place them in a glass bottomed tank sitting over a piece of graph paper and then take a photo.

Cheers, I'll give it a go. :) The C. ensicauda are already in a clear tub and there's a spare critter keeper type tank for the pyrrhos. They're getting ready for a bigger home anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back