Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Beginner questions from a beginner keeper (pH, hardness, filter media, etc)

aoeu

Reaction score
I am about to become an axolotl owner, and I've done a fair amount of research. Yet there are still some questions that I haven't found answers to in my time surfing the web, so I've listed them below. Any input is appreciated.

1) Best way to deal with high pH? My water is incredibly basic (with a preliminary reading of 8.4). That is far too high for my own comfort, and I'm wondering what the best ways to deal with pH are (and if there are any strings attached to the respective methods). I've bought peat moss pellets and API pH Down to experiment with while I cycle. I've also read somewhere that you can mix distilled water with tap water to bring the pH closer to 7, but I'm somewhat dubious of that claim. Thoughts?

2) Best way to deal with soft water? Do I even need to worry about soft water? It never seems like a huge worry, especially for beginner owners. Yet my tap water is about as soft as it can get, so I've bought Seachem Replenish to hopefully raise the hardness. Thoughts on this method? Regarding Replenish, will it raise the pH of my tank? I read somewhere that Holtfreter's will do that to a tank, so I want to steer clear as my pH is already so high.

3) What to do about filter media? I've bought an HOB AquaClear filter for my 20 gallon, and the instructions say that I need to replace the media occasionally (if so, how often?) . I've read elsewhere that you can simply wash out the media in old aquarium water and reuse it. What would you recommend?

4) Finally, Will my axolotl be fine in the dark? I know axolotls prefer dim lighting conditions, but what about complete darkness? No sources I've come across have mentioned what I should do over night. Do I need a light on over the tank?

Thanks again for the feedback 🙂

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
1) use botanicals like driftwood, and peat pellets do not try to chase pH with the powders the swings do more damage than the high pH

2) Soft water - I personally use John solution as my KH is fine. You can try Seachem replenish, equilibrium or holtfreters solution. Are you testing you GH and KH ? what are you starting at?

3) Filter media - I use Aquaclear HOB - I only use the sponge and biomedia and buy extra - carbon, zeolite, ammorid etc are all a waste of money. I rinse the sponge only when the flow gets affected. I never rinse the bio media. rinsing needs to be in a bucket of tank water - NEVER tap water you will kill your beneficial bacteria.

4) Dark - yes they are totally fine with just ambient light. Most of my tanks are ambient light only.

Have you cycled your tank yet?
Are you testing with a liquid test kit?

Jordanne

I am about to become an axolotl owner, and I've done a fair amount of research. Yet there are still some questions that I haven't found answers to in my time surfing the web, so I've listed them below. Any input is appreciated.

1) Best way to deal with high pH? My water is incredibly basic (with a preliminary reading of 8.4). That is far too high for my own comfort, and I'm wondering what the best ways to deal with pH are (and if there are any strings attached to the respective methods). I've bought peat moss pellets and API pH Down to experiment with while I cycle. I've also read somewhere that you can mix distilled water with tap water to bring the pH closer to 7, but I'm somewhat dubious of that claim. Thoughts?

2) Best way to deal with soft water? Do I even need to worry about soft water? It never seems like a huge worry, especially for beginner owners. Yet my tap water is about as soft as it can get, so I've bought Seachem Replenish to hopefully raise the hardness. Thoughts on this method? Regarding Replenish, will it raise the pH of my tank? I read somewhere that Holtfreter's will do that to a tank, so I want to steer clear as my pH is already so high.

3) What to do about filter media? I've bought an HOB AquaClear filter for my 20 gallon, and the instructions say that I need to replace the media occasionally (if so, how often?) . I've read elsewhere that you can simply wash out the media in old aquarium water and reuse it. What would you recommend?

4) Finally, Will my axolotl be fine in the dark? I know axolotls prefer dim lighting conditions, but what about complete darkness? No sources I've come across have mentioned what I should do over night. Do I need a light on over the tank?

Thanks again for the feedback 🙂

aoeu

Reaction score
Hi Jordanne, thanks for the input! I'm about a day away from beginning the cycle. I'm using liquid ammonia and API Quick Start in the process. And yes, I'm using the API Freshwater Master test kit. It's worked great so far 🙂.

1) Can I find driftwood at my local PetSmart or PetCo (is that a common thing they sell)?

2) I originally bought a cheap GH strip test kit, and it gave no reading (no change in strip colour). So I don't have an exact number for GH or KH, but I know they're likely very low. A liquid GH and KH test kit is on its way from Amazon, so I'll be able to read more accurately.

3) Just to clarify, do you purchase new media (sponge and biomedia)? If so, about how often?

Sorry, one more question: should I do water changes while cycling the tank? If so, how often and at which stages during the cycle?

1) use botanicals like driftwood, and peat pellets do not try to chase pH with the powders the swings do more damage than the high pH

2) Soft water - I personally use John solution as my KH is fine. You can try Seachem replenish, equilibrium or holtfreters solution. Are you testing you GH and KH ? what are you starting at?

3) Filter media - I use Aquaclear HOB - I only use the sponge and biomedia and buy extra - carbon, zeolite, ammorid etc are all a waste of money. I rinse the sponge only when the flow gets affected. I never rinse the bio media. rinsing needs to be in a bucket of tank water - NEVER tap water you will kill your beneficial bacteria.

4) Dark - yes they are totally fine with just ambient light. Most of my tanks are ambient light only.

Have you cycled your tank yet?
Are you testing with a liquid test kit?

Jordanne

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
I'm not sure if yours carry natural driftwood. you may need to ask in your local aquarium club group where they get theirs.

Awesome - I use the API GH/KH test kit

No - I do not buy new media for my filter - the biomedia is good forever its ceramic. The sponge may need to be replaced ever few years as it slowly breaks down.

HERE is my cycling handout. As a general rule no you do not do water changes during cycling unless you hit a few key things I talk about in the handout.

Hi Jordanne, thanks for the input! I'm about a day away from beginning the cycle. I'm using liquid ammonia and API Quick Start in the process. And yes, I'm using the API Freshwater Master test kit. It's worked great so far 🙂.

1) Can I find driftwood at my local PetSmart or PetCo (is that a common thing they sell)?

2) I originally bought a cheap GH strip test kit, and it gave no reading (no change in strip colour). So I don't have an exact number for GH or KH, but I know they're likely very low. A liquid GH and KH test kit is on its way from Amazon, so I'll be able to read more accurately.

3) Just to clarify, do you purchase new media (sponge and biomedia)? If so, about how often?

Sorry, one more question: should I do water changes while cycling the tank? If so, how often and at which stages during the cycle?

aoeu

Reaction score
Thanks again! The cycling handout matches perfectly the methods I'll be using.

I'm not sure if yours carry natural driftwood. you may need to ask in your local aquarium club group where they get theirs.

Awesome - I use the API GH/KH test kit

No - I do not buy new media for my filter - the biomedia is good forever its ceramic. The sponge may need to be replaced ever few years as it slowly breaks down.

HERE is my cycling handout. As a general rule no you do not do water changes during cycling unless you hit a few key things I talk about in the handout.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1