Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best Cleanup Crew For A Basic Salamander Enclosure?

KrabzAga

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon non planted enclosure for a tiger salamander. I keep the temperature at 65-72 degrees f. Which type of isopod or cleanup crew would do best at this temperature? I have dwarf white isopods but i'm not sure if they will survive at this temperature.

Audrey22

Reaction score
Lol ignoring the sassy previous reply 😆, maybe rollie pollies. I find them in my mom's garden under rocks all the time. In the summer where I live it gets 98 degrees so 72 might be fine. But research me before. I'm in the aquatic newt area right now.

MnGuy

Reaction score
I use dwarf whites for my unheated marbled newt tank and zebra isopods for my garter snake tank, which has a heat lamp.

Most isopods are fine at room temperature. I don't know a lot about the species, but some like it more dry than others. I like my zebras a lot because they're pretty.

For a tiger salamander, I'd use larger isopods so they can act as a secondary food source. But I would get a bunch and make sure to keep some alone in their own colony to replenish the tank.

I've read that isopods can compete with one another and some may lose out in competition with others, so I'd stick with one kind.

Reaction score
Ah yes springtails are perfect because they work well, eat poop, and are SUPER easy to find. look under any rock, and those teeny tiny jumping things are springtails. typically they are white

JoshBA

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon non planted enclosure for a tiger salamander. I keep the temperature at 65-72 degrees f. Which type of isopod or cleanup crew would do best at this temperature? I have dwarf white isopods but i'm not sure if they will survive at this temperature.
Your dwarf white isopods will have no problem living and reproducing at that temperature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1