Best filter for JFB newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Izzy
I currently have an undergravel filter with an air pump set up. Is this an adequate filter or should I invest in an electric one?

Sponge filters work really well. It will take a few weeks to cycle though. Also look into low light/cold water friendly plants as they will also aid in filtration.

Thanks :). Can I have my newt in the tank while it cycles and how much do they cost for one that will fit a 10 gallon tank?

Sponge filters are extremely cheap, maybe a couple of bucks, but it's something you attach to an air pump, it's not a type of filter that will suck up a bunch of waste, it is used more for biological filtration

Japanese fire bellies are very easy to care for, but before I can give you any proper advice it would be best to post a picture of what you have. If its from a pet store its far more likely to be a Chinese fire belly, Paddletail, or Warty newt, despite what they told you in the shop.
Warty newts and Paddletails need different care to fire bellies, so it really would be best to identify it 100% before we go any further.

Actually I haven't received my newt yet. I ordered him from a breeder where he was captive bred. I'm positive he's a JFB.

Oh, ok. Here is an article about filtration for newt tanks, although if you just have one newt a filter is not really needed at all. Japanese firebellies need well planted tanks to be happy and behave normally, If there are enough live plants they will remove waste products from the water as well as any filter will and won't create water currents that the newts hate.

Caudata Culture Articles - Filters

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back