Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best food to culture

jungleboy01

Reaction score
I have a northern leopard frog that is about quarter sized and a tiger salamander that is a couple inches long. I am sick of buying crickets and want to culture something to feed them. I have a culture of d.melanogaster but that can't feed my salamander. Any help would be appreciated!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Lobster roaches. They're nutritious, full of calcium, they're not noisy like crickets, they're easy to culture.

AeonMapa

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned earthworms! They are simply the best choice to feed your animals, being the most nutritionally complete. No need for calcium powders.

They are also extremely easy to culture, just google DIY earthworm bin and you'll have at least 10 viable methods to use depending on your location and weather. Culturing them is also very economical as they will consume your food scraps, and you can use their castings as fertilizer for your plants. They can be cultured in something as small as a 5 gallon bucket.

There's no reason not to do it :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!