Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best place to get salamanders from and other additional tips?

jumpsuitmonkey

Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking into potentially getting a salamander, don’t know which one yet, but I know I want a terrestrial that can fit in a ten gallon. Where are the best places to get one? The only place I’ve found readily is Underground reptiles, and they have very spotty reviews. I’d be placing an order at an exotic pet store for them to order it for me. Sounds unnecessarily complicated, but I’ve got a busy schedule (which would probably end up with any LAG to be null), and I don’t want to eat the cost if something happens and the vendor doesn’t offer a replacement or refund of the animal.
The salamander I’m looking at the most is the marbled. It’s not a beginner species I know, but my room can get up to the mid 70’s in the summer, and this species looks like it can handle those conditions. Spotted salamanders, fire salamanders, and mud salamanders are also on the table. Any other terrestrial species that would with this, or care tips would be very appreciated!

matt3civic

Reaction score
Marbled salamander breeding season is coming up soon (I’m in Arkansas) and marbled are pretty easy, so long as you have small enough food items. I actually got a tiger salamander larvae from a bait shop (ordered online) and have had it for 3 years. It morphed and is very easy to keep happy because it hs the same requirements as marbled salamanders and has the size to eat worms you can get at Walmart or any bait shop. I don’t know if anyone breeds marbled to sell, so finding one might not be so easy. I’m not sure if this helps…

jumpsuitmonkey

Reaction score
Marbled salamander breeding season is coming up soon (I’m in Arkansas) and marbled are pretty easy, so long as you have small enough food items. I actually got a tiger salamander larvae from a bait shop (ordered online) and have had it for 3 years. It morphed and is very easy to keep happy because it hs the same requirements as marbled salamanders and has the size to eat worms you can get at Walmart or any bait shop. I don’t know if anyone breeds marbled to sell, so finding one might not be so easy. I’m not sure if this helps…
This helps some, thank you! I keep pretty small feeders on hand usually as I have a green anole, and she’s got a very petite structure, so as long as I’m not having to feed fruit flies we’d be good.
I’ve seen some available on Underground reptiles, but they’re wild caught. Which I’d be alright getting, it’s just not what I’d really prefer

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!