Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best Substrate For Planted Enclosure?

KrabzAga

Reaction score
I'm thinking of setting up a planted tiger salamander enclosure. Which types of soils/mixes do you guys use and are there any concerns? Also are wild collected plants safe? Thanks

JM29

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not in America, so I cannot give any advice about the plant species you could put in your enclosure.
Your choice of plants may be different whether you make your enclosure outdoors or indoors (in the last case, select shadow growing plants).
Last point : if the plants grow near the edges of the enclosure, they can help the salamanders to escape, so be careful with that.

Last edited:

JoshBA

Reaction score
I'm thinking of setting up a planted tiger salamander enclosure. Which types of soils/mixes do you guys use and are there any concerns? Also are wild collected plants safe? Thanks
The best soils for tiger salamanders facilitate the burrowing habits of this species. In my experience, topsoil (containing clay, silt, and loam) works best. If it has a high clay content you can add an organic filler, such as coconut fiber, to prevent it from getting overly packed down. Regular topsoil (untreated/unfertilized) sold at a farm/garden store should work just fine. And is way cheaper than the overpriced substrates from pet/terrarium stores. Finally, providing a deep layer (5-10+ inches) will allow your tiger sal to create some truly epic burrows.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about messing around with the fancy plant mixes and whatnot. They're not ideal for burrowing species as they typically are very course-textured. Wild-collected plants should be okay, but they probably won't acclimate to terrarium conditions. Some of the commonly available tropical houseplants would be more ideally suited to your setup. I once had a densely planted setup consisting of a variety of robust tropical species (e.g., Epipremnum, Tradescantia, Syngonium, Spathiphyllum) that were able to put up with salamanders' abuse. And yes, they did just fine in calcareous topsoil rather than acidic tropical plant mix.

Hope this helps. Probably a bit too much info... Good luck with your enclosure!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1