Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?

Jake Hutton

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently picked up two three lines, about 5-6 inches each. Not sure on their sex but I plan on picking up two more and attempting to breed them. I have them in my basement in a 10 gallon? Rubbermaid (with a tight lid) they have multiple rocks for hiding and coverage with water (60-65 F) about 5 inches deep. I am interested how other people keep them and if you have had any success in breeding them.

Yahilles

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Display Name
Janusz Wierzbicki
Jake, are these white points, on one of the pictures, eggs?

Lamb

Reaction score
Country
United States
E. guttolineata can often be found in the same streams as E. cirrigera, at least in Mississippi they can. So it may be worthwhile to look at breeding set ups for E. cirrigera and work from there. I've seen multiple E. cirrigera set ups on this site, and they tend to have running water with stacks of rocks and or slate. The E. cirrigera will oviposit on the lower surface of rocks that are submerged in the water. You may want to prop a few pieces up so that they can get under them to do that. Moss is always a good addition.

We don't have much rock in streams in my part of the state, so breeding habitat looks pretty different. Females will apparently oviposit beneath driftwood, or beneath low hanging moss or in leaf litter in the creek. E. guttolineata are also found in association with lentic water (swampy ponds).

Oh, and sexing Eurycea is relatively easy during the breeding season (which comes to a close in March or April in my region). Males will have cirri, which are fleshy projections that grow down from their nostrils and overhang their lower jaws. If you see those, you know it's male. However, sometimes these are not very long or prominent, depending on how much testosterone is going through the animal at the time. Fortunately, males also grow enlarged premaxillary teeth (teeth on the upper jaw at the very front), which you can usually feel if you gently rub your finger against the lower tip of their snout. It will feel like sandpaper. They'll also have a small mental gland (portion of slightly raised, slightly lighter skin at the apex of their lower jaw), which you can sometimes see. In the field, I generally rely on cirri and or premaxillary teeth. Below I've linked a diagram in which you can see the approximate position of the gland and their teeth. The drawing on top depicts the premaxillary teeth growing through the lower jaw.

http://people.oregonstate.edu/~arnoldst/eurycea.jpg

Last edited:

Lamb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jake, are these white points, on one of the pictures, eggs?
I'm not seeing eggs int he pictures, those white points may just be reflections of the light.

erwin

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Erwin Bakker
I had a small breeding succes with them in the past. The tank was 28 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches. I had much more land than water and the water depth was about 2 inches. I also had a pump with the outlet at the top of a pile of stones.

Succes with them, very nice animals!

Jake Hutton

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry, I havent been on here in awhile. There arent any eggs in the picture its just the glare from the container. Anyhow, I have a new setup for my 3.4 collection. I have a pump constantly keeping the water moving and flowing down to a small pond area on one side. The setup is about 25% water. I am feeding crickets once a week and all the salamanders seem to be healthy. Breeding season is just about here and hopefully I will get some eggs out of my females. I am beginning to adjust the photoperiod to induce breeding. I will keep everyone updated and I will also post some pictures of the new setup soon.​

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jake I would add small shopped earthworm chunks to their diet to get them into breeding condition. A diet of just crickets probably won't do it. Do you ever see them hunting in the water or do they seem to stay on land more?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    I just got this new axolotl and I didn't cycle the water because the pet store guys said I didn't have to but now I know I have to
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl owner2020: I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget. +1