Best way to remove gravel

Methos5K

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the best course of action to remove the gravel from a well established (and heavily planted) aquarium? I was thinking of removing the inhabitants, siphoning and reusing as much water as possible then dump the gravel and any plants that need it. Or can I just use an aquarium net to scoop it all out? Also instead of bare-glass on the bottom, maybe some kind of thin sheet of material for display purposes?

Cheers.

Yeah I prefer to siphon the gravel out. Keeps the detritus from getting too stirred up and clouding your remaining water. If you let the siphoned gravel/water sit for awhile the gunk will settle and you can scoop out clear water to reuse. You could also strain the old water through a fine net if you want to go that route. You might have a little ammonia/nitrite spike afterwards because you'll loos some of the beneficial bacteria with the gravel.

A thin layer of sand works in the bottom. Detritus wont settle down into it like gravel, then just spot clean with a siphon to get the gunk out. Rinse/soak the sand well before use or your tank will be very cloudy. Slate is another possibility. Also some foam products. If you were taking the tank all the way down you could use spray foam insulation and paint/clear coat it or coat it with sand or gravel while still tacky.

Just some things I've done. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back