Best way to transport

Oceano

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So I have been offered a place at uni and am considering going, however the uni is 4 hours away and so I will have to move if I go. Since I will be gone for a year at a time I don't wish to leave my axies behind (my horses, dog and worm farm will be coming too :) sadly the bird will have to stay behind as her cage is a bit big to transfer). And so I would like to know what methods people would suggest for moving them. I am getting them a new tank soon, as they have outgrown their old one but would it be better to travel them in their current one? any information would be greatly appreciated.

Grats on getting an offer :D
Four hours is a little while but your axies should be okay as long as they are kept cool during transport, after all, people manage to ship them overnight and things like that.
Go into your local fish store and ask for their biggest fish bags, they should only cost you like 20 cents each, the girl in my LFS showed me how to correctly tie the bag up and everything. Don't use too much water and hopefully you should have enough oxygen in there to last the trip.
If you're really worried, do a Google search for "breather bags" and have a read up on them, the plastic they are made of allows the transfer of oxygen and carbon dioxide so you can fill the whole bag up and your axolotls will survive just fine (this saves the stress of the water sloshing around and things like that).
Though, this might be a bit much for a four hour trip.

As for the temperature, get a styrofoam box and use a frozen plastic ice block or bottle to keep the temps low. The styrofoam should work effectively to keep everything inside it cool enough. Make sure you somehow secure the bag your axie is in in the box so it doesn't move around, otherwise you might find yourself with some stressed out lotls when you arrive!

Good luck :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back