Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Beta Carotene and its effect on Axolotl coloration

Silver

Reaction score
Has anyone feeding their axolotl a diet high in beta carotene (blood worms, earthworms gut loaded with foods high in BC, cherry shrimp, etc) found that it enhances their pink/red/orange tones? I know axolotls can become lighter/darker based on environment, and many species change color depending on diet. Let me know what you think!

Ed

Reaction score
Carotenes are unlikely to change the pigmentation of a an axolotl a whole lot since in normal or melanoid animals, the melanin will cover the xanthopores, albinos color is predominately pteridine in nature and axanthics lack the xanthopores.... See for example What insights into vertebrate pigmentation ha... [Int J Dev Biol. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI (google the title for a free access copy).
Yellow pigment in axolotls appears to be primarily due to pteridines which are not changed by adding more carotenoids to the diet of the axolotl.

Ed

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One other minor FYI: bloodworms are red because of hemoglobin, not carotenoids.

Silver

Reaction score
I know that, but if you look at the 'ingredients' on the package of bloodworms, beta carotene is one of the first things listed. It's to help them absorb vitamin A or something, right?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't know that. I have been buying San Francisco Bay brand bloodworms, and I don't think they are supplemented with anything, but maybe I should read the package and see.

caleb

Reaction score
I've found that live bloodworms from my local fish shop intensified the belly colour of yellow-bellied toads (Bombina variegata). They don't have ingredients listed, but they must have some added colour, as the water they come in is bright pink.

Silver

Reaction score
I didn't know that. I have been buying San Francisco Bay brand bloodworms, and I don't think they are supplemented with anything, but maybe I should read the package and see.

Ah, I see. I've been feeding mine Hikari. I think I read somewhere there was a difference in supplements for the different brands :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1