Bioactive enclosure for Ornate horned frogs?

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Xavier
Hello all! Been a while since I posted a thread, but I am curious if this is a feasible idea or not. Lately, I've considered purchasing a CB Ornate horned frog from a reptile expo, but I was wondering if anyone has or knows about setting up a Bioactive enclosure for one. I do know horned frogs are probably not the best for that kind of enclosure, given their burrowing tendencies and their behavior of sitting in one spot, but I am curious if anyone could or has used them for an enclosure like that, and what plants and invertebrates should be used. Thanks all! :happy:

juraj

Reaction score
Country
Slovak Republic
There's no harm in using earthworms, springtails, woodlice. Regarding insects no idea except lepismatidae.
cheers
j

MnGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check out BioDude on YouTube for great videos on all kinds of bioactive setups for all kinds of creatures. Chances are that if no one here is responding, they just don't have first-hand experience with your specific question.

Good luck.

Cloppy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Earthworms and isopds and some springtails. Sometimes I do not remove all of the poop pellet, because the springtails will be all over it.

salvoz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with the springs, isopods and earthworms. Plants (pretty much whatever grows quickly and easily, e.g., pothos) are also a good idea. However, I would say you'd need a fairly good size enclosure, like a 20 gal long, at least, to maintain enough of them to put a meaningful dent in the processing of the large amounts of waste ceratophrys can produce. If in doubt, removing fecal material and replacing with some fresh soil would be a good idea.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Xavier
Thanks all! Since I'm planning on getting a juvenile, I'll probably have it in a standard enclosure to start with, and while it grows, construct a 30-40 gallon bioactive setup for it. Thanks again everyone! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinky:
    So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there aren't right?! Like too low not too high, anybody any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It’s very dry in Colorado. I make sure to spritz every night so while I’m sleeping. I have a nifty hydrometer that I got from Walmart. It tells me blue, green, red; too little humid, good, too much respectively. It’s been helpful to me.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It tells me temperature AND humidity.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +2
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if hot glue is fine to glue rocks together?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Should be. Hot glue is good when dry I believe, just don't let it get too hot and you should be good. Most super glues are good as well just watch out for flume warnings
    +2
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned.
    +1
    Unlike
    Mark.H: Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned. +1