Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

black ear mantella breeding

salamanderguy

Reaction score
i have purchased a colony of black eared mantellas they were breeding in a 2.5 gallon tank on just bark at the pet pet store, it was kept very wet. is this unusual? i have moved them into a 10 gallon because with bromeilaheids and other plants and i have not seen any evidence of breeding does anybody have any suggestions?

bobberly1

Reaction score
Thats cool! Lucky to get your hands on some of those. Yeah, keep them wet with dry spots, preferably a small body of water. The best food is probably dusted drophilia. Can't say I'm an expert but this is the general message I've recieved.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I have a group of 3 and to get them to breed I put them through a "dry" season and then a "wet" season. To accomplish this I limit my misting to about once a week, sometimes not even that often, this will allow the tank to dry out some. I do this for about 6-8 weeks. Then I will gradually mist more often and heavier at least 2 or 3 times a day. It is also important to note that you should also increase feedings at this time. If all goes well you should start to see breeding behaviour in about a week or two. Eggs should follow shortly, I recommend keeping moss and a decent piece of bark in there also, it has been my experience that they prefer to lay eggs under these items. These mantellas are very susceptible to heat stress, so I would also keep that in mind, anything above 79'F (15'C) will be deadly to them.

Hope this will help,
Justin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!