Black spots on toe tips

Chardog03

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have a leucistic axolotl who was born in December, he’s been very healthy, meaning no fungus, no parasites that I’m aware of, no broken toes or anything like that. About a month ago I noticed his toe tips were black, which I know is the son of maturing, after deeper inspection I guess at his toes, the black spots weren’t connected to his toes, they were more of an imposter. I use the tweezers when I first saw them and try to scrape it off, and it came off, and sunk to the bottom of the tankAbout a month ago I noticed his toe tips were black, which I know is the son of maturing, after deeper inspection I guess at his toes, the black spots weren’t connected to his toes, they were more of an imposter. I use the tweezers when I first saw them and try to scrape it off, and it came off, and sunk to the bottom of the tank. I then searched around this forum and with a little help from an axolotl discord I found someone who had a similar issue and their axolotl was treated with injections, we just took him to the vet and the vet told me to put a cream on his toes while holding him out of the water for 10 to 15 minutes, I am mediately thought in my head “what the fuck no” but I went with it as she was talking, she also suggested salt baths, which again I thought ”no” so I guess what I’m trying to say is how would I treat this? I’ve done one tea bath in the course of a month, I’ve done prazio pro in his 5 gallon tub, at half dose, he did not like that at all, I’ve also tried to treat him with a half dose of furan-2, nothing. So should I continue to treat with prazio pro, or tea baths or both? I will link a picture and it’s on like every toe tip, seems to be getting worse by the week and growing.

Attachments

• 6D27F07C-8A4F-417F-B224-61B4A990A76C.jpeg
    6D27F07C-8A4F-417F-B224-61B4A990A76C.jpeg
    732.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 2F33C37D-4187-4BFC-A5A9-89F890917448.jpeg
    2F33C37D-4187-4BFC-A5A9-89F890917448.jpeg
    881.5 KB · Views: 157
  • B143D0A8-ACF9-4186-BCF8-040B0E2C8942.jpeg
    B143D0A8-ACF9-4186-BCF8-040B0E2C8942.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 238
  • B6548BFE-0BEA-4D51-A5B2-769B256833D1.jpeg
    B6548BFE-0BEA-4D51-A5B2-769B256833D1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 172
I should also mention I change his tub every other day, I know I shit every day but I’m kind of lazy, I use seachem prime and kordons amquel and keep his temp anywhere from 61-68F

I should also mention I change his tub every other day, I know I shit every day but I’m kind of lazy, I use seachem prime and kordons amquel and keep his temp anywhere from 61-68F
He’s also eating hikari sinking carnivore pellets along with trout worms and earthworms/night crawlers with the occasional blood worms or brine shrimp cubes (frozen and unthawed)

He’s also eating hikari sinking carnivore pellets along with trout worms and earthworms/night crawlers with the occasional blood worms or brine shrimp cubes (frozen and unthawed)
The vet gave me this cream, I was thinking maybe I could put it on a Q-tip and put it on him while he’s in the water she said if it doesn’t go away then to take him back in for injections but seeing the lack of knowledge at that place about these creatures I’d assume not so

Honestly

They end up collecting the gunk from bare bottoms on their toes - If they have slate or sand it cleans off the gunk as the walk along.

I wouldnt treat with anything.

Praziquantel is for parasites do not use

Honestly

They end up collecting the gunk from bare bottoms on their toes - If they have slate or sand it cleans off the gunk as the walk along.

I wouldnt treat with anything.

Praziquantel is for parasites do not use
Okay thank you, I’ve been doing salt baths for a short period of time in hopes he could scrape it off, I know it’s not the best method but I only let him sit for 5 mins, and his 40g breeder that’s almost done cycling has sand,
Hopefully that does the trick!

Okay thank you, I’ve been doing salt baths for a short period of time in hopes he could scrape it off, I know it’s not the best method but I only let him sit for 5 mins, and his 40g breeder that’s almost done cycling has sand,
Hopefully that does the trick!
Yikes, stop treating with salt baths. Salt baths are very uncomfortable for them and are only used when doing harm is the only way to help (Ex. Fungus) I would just wait it out. Maybe do tea baths since those will help sooth his painful skin after the salt baths

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back