Illness/Sickness: Black wild type with blue(?) spots

flowerjo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
I am new to the forum and my sister has had this axolotl for a few years, but recently he has started developing these bluish spots which has me concerned as he shares the tank with other axolotls. They aren't growing but he is getting more of them. We have recently changed foods, but I recall seeing the first spot before the food change, so I don't think it is related. Even though he is like 4 years old, he has gone through a growth spurt recently so I'm wondering if it is actually just a new colour?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.
20220302_115809.jpg

check your water parameters, also has the tank got an air stone in it. his gill colour is very dull.

check your water parameters, also has the tank got an air stone in it. his gill colour is very dull.
Water levels are great. Oxygen levels are great, we have two hobs and a lot of plants and thid is a 6 year established tank. This guy was hand raised by my sister (and her partner who has been in aquatics for 20 years and is well reguarded in our area), so was his brother, whose green colours have recently become more vibrant, I was just worried about these spots as no amount of forum searches or google image searches have shown me a black wild with these coloured spots.

to be honest for a mel the grey spots are just normal discolouration, I mentioned its gills because they are lacking in colour (which is provided by the blood flowing through them), hence why I asked about oxygen levels.
to me it looks more mel than wild

I mentioned its gills because they are lacking in colour (which is provided by the blood flowing through them), hence why I asked about oxygen levels.
Yeah no worries, when I got my two axies a few weeks ago I was looking into all the air stones and oxygen levels and stuff, but these two have never had one and their gills change from vibrant to dull all the time throughout the day depending on what they're doing or where in the tank they are.
It's good to hear that someone else thinks these spots are normal though. They didn't look bad, but like I said they're new and I couldn't find any pics of an axie that had them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back