Blisters?

morg

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Morg
I am presently taking care of some Notopthalmus for a friend while he is away on holiday.
One of them has what looks like very small clear blisters down one side of its body.
I have looked this up in the books that I have, but cannot find any mention of conditions that cause blisters, anybody have any ideas?
They do not seem to be causing any problems with the individual swimming around and eating as usual.

Just returned from feeding my friends dogs, cat, fish and newts, and I took a magnifying glass with me to get a better look at the blistered newt.
On closer inspection the blisters look like the transparant blisters that distance runners can be plagued with after long runs.
It also looks like one has burst leaving tiny flaps of loose skin.
Ideas anybody?

MORG

maybe its rubbing up against something in the tank thats causing it to blister?

Kaysie
That was my first thought,but with the tank being a simple set up of just gravel and aquatic plants,I dont think that this wil be the cause, although it is a possibility.

MORG

The newt is probably shedding it's skin. Some of my Eastern's are in this process right now. For a few days or longer, they have what appear to be clearish/ whitish flecks in random areas. It looks odd, but he will look normal again once it's finally shed.

If you're around when it happens, they usually eat their skin. It looks like they're swallowing themselves from the tail up, and then you realize that it's just skin.
My boyfriend thought one of my newts was eating himself when he first saw it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back