Bloated filter

Caramello

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... I have seperate him and moved him to his own enclosure so he can get better hopefully but I don't have a filter in this specific enclosure. Please can you guys advise if I need to get him one or whether I can leave it? I have read a lot of articles that say they prefer still water and I can change his water frequently keeping it clean. Please advise

I think daily water changes would be enough you don’t need to buy a new filter if he’ll only be in there temporarily

Attachments

• 20201028_213536.jpg
    20201028_213536.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
Guus has just been getting bigger... Any idea what I can do?

You can give him salt baths I had a wood frog get bloated and gave him daily salt baths and they worked really well I’d use less salt then the forum’s recommendation because the fire belly is smaller than an axolotl but it’ll definitely make the bloat go away for a time but it might come back.

How long have you had them? We’re they all just in the cage together or were they separated? Maybe moving him onto something terrestrial would help as well

What is the ratio salt to water in the normal case? I've never had to give any of my animals these so this will be a first 😳

I had 7 originally but Guus is the last one left of my previous group... I currently have 4 I've had Guus about 4 years now and the others joined just recently about 3 months ago now.

All 4 were together and when he started bloating I immediately moved him out onto his own but he seems to be getting bigger since I did this...

Hey did anything change?

Hey there... I think he may be turning into a frog... I tried the salt baths but nothing changing... He's actually getting bigger 😔

Attachments

• 20201112_064647.jpg
    20201112_064647.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back