Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated Fire-belly?

A

aimee

Hi... I recently noticed one of my fire bellied newts has become serverly fat.. I have a suspition he might be bloated but im not sure. The shape of his shape stomach is kind of like a figure of eight, and he is much large in all ways than my other 2 males. The other two are perfectly healthy. He is the oldest one in the tank, about 2 years now i think, but he has only recently started looking like this. I keep them in a 2ft tanks, quarter filled with water, with gravel and a small filter. They also have some small plastic plants too. I feed them freeze-dried bloodworm but have just started feeding them Frozen again. He eats fine and always beats the other two up. The tank temperature ranges between 68-72 but it is usually around 70'c...
Please if anyone has any idea what i can do i'd be grateful. I've had for for a year and a half and i dont want to lose him!
Thanks...

J

jennifer

Are you sure they are all male? Is his neck fat, or just the abdomen? I don't understand your description of his stomach as a figure 8. He could be bloated, or maybe he's just getting more to eat and fatter in comparison to the others. Hard to say without a picture.

A

aimee

Well I'm quite sure they are all male, as the bump just before their tailes gets really big sometimes... I've taken some pictures but i don't know how to upload them on here to show you. He is the biggest one in the tank and i've checked whether his neck is fat aswell but he seems to have a normal neck and head. Its just his abdomen that seems swollen. I got him out today and checked his stonach and it seems squidgy, not hard. I;m wondering whether he has been swallowing air or something? When I feed them the other two usually get there first as this one gets very aggressive around his food...
Could i be mistaken in his sex, maybe he is female?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1