Bloating, no constipation, no gravel

adicts39

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

My axie is experiencing bloating problems recently. I put her in the fridge, haven't overfed her, and there are no substrate on the bottom. Right now I'm trying the salt bath treatment and it doesn't seem it is getting any better. I feed her a diet of earthworms and frozen blood worms and found her catching a minnow in the tank once. I don't think she is constipated since when I put her in the fridge she did poo :(
The water parameters are perfect as well.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on with her? Please help.
Thank you so much, I appreciate it

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 11,501
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 65,915
Last edited:
Bloat can be caused by a number of things, but most commonly it is attributed to an infection or organ failure (kidneys or heart), which doesn't allow the animal to osmoregulate. You can keep her in an isotonic or slightly hypertonic holtfreter's solution, but that will only treat the edema, not the underlying cause. A vet should be able to pinpoint the cause.

Bloat can be caused by a number of things, but most commonly it is attributed to an infection or organ failure (kidneys or heart), which doesn't allow the animal to osmoregulate. You can keep her in an isotonic or slightly hypertonic holtfreter's solution, but that will only treat the edema, not the underlying cause. A vet should be able to pinpoint the cause.
Hi, my axo has the same problem and there’s no vet for axo in my country. Is there any commercial site that sells hypertonic holtfreter’s solution like you mentioned? Or can you give me a hint on how it looks like? Thanks a lot.

Hello,

My axie is experiencing bloating problems recently. I put her in the fridge, haven't overfed her, and there are no substrate on the bottom. Right now I'm trying the salt bath treatment and it doesn't seem it is getting any better. I feed her a diet of earthworms and frozen blood worms and found her catching a minnow in the tank once. I don't think she is constipated since when I put her in the fridge she did poo :(
The water parameters are perfect as well.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on with her? Please help.
Thank you so much, I appreciate it
Hey
I've no experience with Axolotls, but have kept reptiles for years.

My first question would always be is there any chance she could be gravid with eggs?

Sorry if this doesn't help, was just my first thought when I saw the photos (y)

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. Bloating, as was said, could have many causes. It would be best if you make a vet appointment. You may order a food intolerance test at home, but I'm not sure these guys are performing to these creatures. Honestly, it's obvious they're performing them only to humans. Idk why that foolish idea came up to my mind. Anyway, I really hope your pet doesn't have anything serious and will be ok as soon as possible. Please keep us updated on his well-being. All the best!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back