Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloody feet?

pinksmog

Reaction score
My poor axolotl Pennywise's feet all seem shrunken, limp, and bloody. Almost like his toes might fall off.

I noticed yesterday that his foot was getting a little fungus, so set up a salt bath. When I moved him to the bath, I saw all his feet seemed...dead? His swimming is a little off as well, he swam kinda lop sided to get air and is even more lethargic than usual (and he doesn't move a lot anyway).

He's always had health issues, he was heavily nipped by siblings and had parasites when I got him as a baby and his growth was stunted.

Not sure what could be the issue, his roommates are perfect. We also use almond leaves and anti-fungal on a fairly regular basis, since I had a small outbreak a 3-4 months ago.

Grateful for any advice! He's been through a lot, but with treatment has always survived.

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Attach pictures of the issue, it may help with advice. Extra information about the situation will help too.

What is the length of Pennywise?
Who are the housemates with Pennywise and the size of them?
What is the size of your tank?

pinksmog

Reaction score
I'll try to take pictures when I get home.

Pennywise is short of 6 inches. He is about a year old. His roommates are two other males, both younger, that are about 8+ inches. One is from the same breeder as Pennywise, but different parents. They live in a 40 breeder with multiple sponge filters and water tests show everything zero, changed water 2 days ago. Keep temperature around 61 degrees.

Hope that helps! Thanks!

Kingfisher

Reaction score
With Pennywise being smaller he may be getting his toes nipped by his house mates since they are so much bigger than him. Axolotls get less nippy as they grow older. Pennywise may have to be in a separate tank until he gets to be the same size.

How much do you feed them and what are their approximate age?

pinksmog

Reaction score
Honestly, I've thought about separating him on and off. They're all a little less than a year old. Pennywise is the oldest, I think I got the dates wrong. He was 8 months in Oct when I got him and Gatica (4 months then). Pennywise was slightly bigger at that point. The youngest, Lemongrab, is a couple months younger than Gatica. TBH, I thought you might say that, and I really doubted it, because the other two are pretty fat and I've never seen anything like that. They eat a couple times a week, 70/20/10 of worms, frozen, pellets. But I think moving him out might be a good idea. Gatica is an aggressive eater (if there is biting, it's him. Lemongrab is my zen child), and even if it's not biting, I don't think his immune system is great. Don't want him to get the others sick, plus I can keep a better eye on him. Thanks. Been considering this a while but didn't want to, I really think they enjoy being with each other, but Pennywise is more alone these days so maybe it is getting a little aggressive. But seriously, I'm afraid they're obese. I have cut back food a little because of it-connection?

Oh sorry no pics, it wouldn't show up with the lighting, and he was really stressing just from the salt baths. Does appear to have improved some-not bloody, and salt baths are making him freak out. I really don't want to think that's it, he's been acting extra lethargic, but I think moving him would be best if it is biting and/or he's sick

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1