Blue Green Algae

The Other Linda

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are your thoughts on blue green algae? My firebelly newt, who is 28 years
IMG_6886.jpeg
old now, doesn’t seem to mind. I do a complete tank cleaning every six months, and the slime starts reappearing within a month, completely coating everything by the time the next cleaning is due. I am not proactive on stopping it. But I was wondering if Fritz Slime Out was safe for newts, or if I should even bother since he’s done so well thus far.

Dial down your lights to be on for just 6 hours a day and add heaps of easy, fast growing plants to remove the excess nutrients before the algae gets it, that's all I did and mine was gone in a week. Pearlweed, amazon sword, rotala, and a bunch of different floaters are my candidates for how well they suck out nutrients. Cyano is not harmful to newts but nothing will eat it because it's toxic if ingested.

What are your thoughts on blue green algae? My firebelly newt, who is 28 yearsView attachment 95811old now, doesn’t seem to mind. I do a complete tank cleaning every six months, and the slime starts reappearing within a month, completely coating everything by the time the next cleaning is due. I am not proactive on stopping it. But I was wondering if Fritz Slime Out was safe for newts, or if I should even bother since he’s done so well thus far.
Dial down your lights to be on for just 6 hours a day and add heaps of easy, fast growing plants to remove the excess nutrients before the algae gets it, that's all I did and mine was gone in a week. Pearlweed, amazon sword, rotala, and a bunch of different floaters are my candidates for how well they suck out nutrients. Cyano is not harmful to newts but nothing will eat it because it's toxic if ingested.
Thank you very much for the info. I’ve redone the tank with pearl weed and mini christmas weed, and the old newt approves. He’s always liked to see through the glass and watch what we’re doing. He has not been a great fan of the algae that blocks his view and is hard to grip.

Attachments

• IMG_7329.jpeg
    IMG_7329.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back