Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blue Hornworms

Roney

Reaction score
I purchased Blue hornworms at the Hamburg PA reptile expo and I was curious cam these be used as a staple food for salamanders and newts. The food the worms are eating is non toxic it looks like oatmeal and honey mix smells very sweet.

Joost

Reaction score
I'm curious to what species you would feed the hornworms? I know they are fed to large lizards, but they chew their prey, salamanders and newts don't. The large sting maybe could be a problem? I've found these caterpillars here in the wild and that sting can hurt, I know :eek:

Roney

Reaction score
Tiger Salamanders how do they sting, the horn is soft.

Joost

Reaction score
Just to make sure: You refer to this species?

That sting is very hard and sharp, but I don't know about captive bred caterpillars what are ment for food.

Attachments

• manducasexta5l.jpg
    manducasexta5l.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 8,608

Roney

Reaction score
Yes but the captive ones I have have a soft horn I asked the guy would that hurt my animals he said no touch it and it was very soft and flexible. Also the ones I have are blue because their food is different from those in the wild. I got mine from Thebugdepot.com.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I know wild hornworms eat tomato plants, which makes them extremely toxic.

I would think they're too big for any salamander save for maybe a siren or amphiuma.

Roney

Reaction score
They are smaller than night crawlers and my sals eat nightcrawlers without any problem but they only get those once or 2wice a week because their so big.

Jake

Reaction score
At the expos I go to you can buy several sizes of hornworms. They make a nice treat for salamanders but probably not a good staple. Feed the appropriate size and you can use them to feed any salamander.

Teeglor

Reaction score
I am curious about this as well! I saw some at the petstore today and asked a lady if she knew if they were safe fot sals to eat as I did not know if they were toxic or not. She said no but did not eleborate on why.

My tiger salamander is 9 and a half inches or 24 cm. He eats whole night crawlers larger than these worms! So I am not worried about size.

I would be worried if it would make him sick or be able to do damage if it bit him. The lady at the petstore said they have a nasty bite.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1