Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bombina Maxima tadpoles

ellssaplam

Reaction score
Any idea how to raise these.

I had spawn earlier in the year that i attempted to raise as i would Orientalis, but that just disintegrated. This time i have kept it much cooler and it has hatched.

Now need advice on how to raise the tadpoles.

Many thanks,

Lee

Clive

Reaction score
Hi,
Bred maxima many years ago and had no problems. The toadlets are another issue. They do not seem to have the feeding response of other members of the family.Many just dwindle away but some will survive and normal feeding/eating follows. Good luck

ellssaplam

Reaction score
Cheers,

any ideas on water temperature, PH etc for the spawn i seem to have a high mortality
even at the egg stage.

Lee

caleb

Reaction score
I breed maxima most years.

I've never had any problems with hatching the eggs, though there's usually a fair number that are infertile. They can just be hatched at cool room temperature (15-20C) in aged tap water.

I often let them hatch in the parents' tank (just because it's easier than picking them all out) and fish out the tadpoles when they're free-swimming.

The tadpoles can be raised just like orientalis, but I find they produce stronger toadlets if they're raised in full sunlight. I find if they're reared under artificial light, some will drown at metamorphosis, refuse to feed, or feed weakly and fail to grow- I've never had these problems when they're reared in full sun.

I keep the toadlets in 50:50 water:land at cool room temperature, just like the adults- other people have had success keeping them fully terrestrial and/or at higher temperatures.

ellssaplam

Reaction score
Many thanks Caleb

perhaps its just the number of infertile eggs then, but the advice over the rearing of the toadlets is really appreciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!