BOOK REVIEW: Crocodile Newts The Genera Echinotriton and Tylototriton, by Axel Hernandez

DartFrog180

Reaction score
Country
United States
Full Citation and Publishing Information:

Hernandez, Axel 2016. Crocodile Newts—The Primitive Salamandridae of Asia. (Genera Echinotriton and Tylototriton). Edition Chimaira, Frankfurt Am Mein, Germany. 415p.

ISSN: 1613-2327
ISBN: 98-3-89973-521-5

Approximate cost US (based on several vendors, hardcover): $65.

Because people, and biologists in particular often like to pick something upon which to specialize, books that give deep coverage of the biology of one or two entire or related genera have always seemed to me to be fairly uncommon (at least in the amphibian and reptile world). Here, the author, Axel Hernandez does an amazing job of batching in one title a fantastic treatment of two related genera (Echinotriton and Tylototriton) that are collectively known as “Crocodile Newts.”

The book begins with an acknowledgement section that credits other individuals known for their contributions to the knowledge of crocodile newts, followed by a brief section describing the author’s travels in Asia to see these animals. It then segues into a good coverage of the relationships within the group, as currently known at least (descriptions of new species and newly proposed phylogenies within the genus Tylototriton have been especially active in the past ten years), and a survey of the many conservation challenges facing crocodile newts, and other salamanders in general. There is a brief chapter that provides suggestions on different options for captive husbandry and breeding of these species, and more such information is included in some of the species accounts that follow. Then, the individual species accounts themselves follow, with 25 in total (two species of Echinotriton and 23 of Tylototriton).

The species accounts are, in my opinion, the most useful part of the book, with each covering sections on Diagnosis and Taxonomy, Distribution, Habitat Behavior and Ecology, Reproduction, Captive Husbandry, as well as Status, Threats, and Conservation to close each account. Throughout the species accounts there are large shaded rangemaps, which are a hallmark of many other Edition Chimaira books. There are many excellent photographs of individual specimens (including larvae), and habitats as well. Where the species accounts themselves were most useful to me, the habitat photos are a close second. Many of the habitat photographs show great examples of the types of habitats in China and neighboring south and southeast Asian nations. These photos and the Authors first hand descriptions of the places that Crocodile newts occur were more than inspirational, they firmed up a notion that I would someday like to travel to see these a few of these places myself.

The book itself is of medium format, with a page size of approximately 8 X 5.5 inches (20.3 X 14 cm), but has quality paper and binding. The prices I found were comparable from several online book sellers and the average (about $65 U.S., not including shipping) price of a new copy is very reasonable when considering the huge amount of information contained in this books 415 pages.

In summary, Hernandez’ book does an excellent job of covering the two genera of crocodile newts and should be a must have for any salamander enthusiast or biologist.

Attachments

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Three species of Echinotriton. The author claims (figure 1) co-authorship of several species with Mian Hou, but his name is not included in authorship of any.

Christopher Georg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cool and interesting, thanks! Such books are really worthy of attention, I often read reviews, and then go directly to the book itself, actually like this Romeo And Juliet Essays, with the analysis of which I recommend you to get acquainted in more detail, because many have read fragments or parts, some interesting moments, and here is collected everything is interesting, go ahead and read, good luck!

Last edited:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
That looks like a really interesting book; I love my tylos. But it seems like every week they are reclassifying them or discovering new ones!
Not cheap either: starts at $72 used on Amazon. It's now on my wish list though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Roadrunner:
    My axolotl can you all take a look at that thread, I am freaked out about my axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    His gills seem kinda small, I don't think that's normal but I'm not a huge expert on axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Yeah his gills is kinda small and it can be caused by nitrate level, I am taking care of it atm, I am worried about his weight, is he only overfed or are there any kinds of problems there ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Well, again, I'm no expert. But I did just read axolotls are supposed to have a body about as wide as their head. The gills I'd say are the biggest problem, which could reduce oxygen intake, which could make a whole mess of problems.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Thanks for the help then, I will deal with his gills in no time
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    Any one have advice on feeding a tubbed axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    mine hasent eaten in weeks and im not sure what to do
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hello, I am a new owner of a 3 month old axolotl, and although I have done a lot of research on axolotls, I can barely find any for babies. If anyone can help me with these questions, I would be super happy. How many hours do baby axolotls tend to sleep per day? How many times should I feed it and what would be considered too much (it's current diet is freeze-dried brine shrimp and blood worms, and I currently feed it around 3 bloodworms since they are not that big)? How many times a week should I change the water and how? I have a good filter and use Prime as my conditioner to remove the chlorine and other chemicals, but I still need to figure out how to deal with ammonia and such in the water. How do I clean it's waste (should I use a dropper to easily pick it up)? I need a better cooling system because currently I use ice packs on the side of the tank and I make sure to angle my ac so that it hits the tank.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    I also leave the lid open during the day so that evaporation can cool down my tank. I want to buy a fan, but since winter is coming I won't have to buy one yet. Lastly, what water testers are effective and affordable for a broke student like myself? Please, if anyone has any advice I will love to hear it. I care for this creature too much at this point, but I have no one to help me with caring for it other than the internet :,)
    +1
    Unlike
  • EmilyP:
    Hi LauraLobster I am a new owner of axolotls myself and have been getting advice from things like this, I feed mine twice a day on blackworms and brine shrimp blood worms are more of a treat food, a question on where you are keeping you axolotl are you keeping it in the main tank or in a tub also if in the tank did you cycle it first? and if not i suggest tubing it until the tank it cycled, mine are still tubed since I was given bad advice by the shop people about cycling my tank and am still in the process of cycling it. I use pipettes to clean up the mess of my axolotls. I use the API mater test kit for freshwater tanks I am also a student and had to look around to find it the cheapest I could.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi LauraLobster, like you I got my first ever Axolotl back in July. Iv found that he has enjoyed and eaten red wigglers well. They are a good source of protein and help provide the nutrients a young lotl needs to grow up big and strong. You will probably need to break it up into smaller pieces until they get bigger but they are what I have primarily fed my buddy since I got him. He’s actually so picky that he won’t even eat his pellets anymore and will hold out till he gets his favorite wormy.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat nea
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat newt inflamtion I've got one and recently it's started to develop an inflammation on its throat can someone please tell me how you treat this I've also checked if he had something stuck but I didn't se anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • Cjbond:
    Anyone have any Notophthalmus viridescens for purchase to a loving home?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Grantsky:
    Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this as I am new to the site, b
    +1
    Unlike
  • ltoloxa-:
    Hey, can anyone recommend a good fan/cooler in UK?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nycolebayne:
    I’ve got proven female axolotls available if anyone is interested.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if shale is ok for long-toed salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    As long as its cleaned yeah! You can even make overhangs if you have enough pieces to make nice caves and platforms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My pleasure! River rocks work well too, and go rather well with all kinda lung less salamanders,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinky:
    So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there aren't right?! Like too low not too high, anybody any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
    Tinky: So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there... +1