Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Bored Axolotl

bigbusterbrowne

Reaction score
Hi all,
Olive my 8 month axolotl seems to be bored! Have you any suggestions on keeping her entertained? I have heard of things like ping pong balls and hoops etc. Ive got plants in there but she has wrecked them all. I was thinking of giving her a mate but the axolotls in the shop are about 4 months younger.

Many Thanks
DAVE

Zolotl

Reaction score
I dont think axolotls have the brain to get bored.
The only thing they like is eating (hunting), mating, and biting each other that will keep them pretty entertained. They do like to climb up in plants and sit near the filters bubbles though and hide in caves.

Greg31

Reaction score
Yeh, from what i have read and experience i sort of just think that if an axolotl moves a ping pong ball it will chase because it may think its food or something. Or swimming or haning in certain areas may be because its a cool area or just coincedence. It would be cool if i were wrong but I cant see an axolotl being associated with a dog in those aspects.

Lacey

Reaction score
I enjoyed reading the blog about Spyyk the axolotl. It was very interesting. I think that even if the axolotl does not play, it's still worth a try to see what the outcome is, you never know. Spyyk seemed to enjoy it :) Thanks for sharing!

Markw

Reaction score
Yeh, from what i have read and experience i sort of just think that if an axolotl moves a ping pong ball it will chase because it may think its food or something.

Either way..I think that a good hunt, even without a reward, is enrichment and stimulates his brain. I think the more things that will get these lazy buggers up and moving to do things, the better in the end. Mine sure like to bite me when doing water changes. haha

Mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!