Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bought 2 FB newts a week ago..

tony1208

Reaction score
Hello I brought two newts about 8 days ago. 2 days after purchasing them I feed them a few frozen blood worms and they both ate them esp one of them. I tried feeding them agin 3 days later and they left the frozen worms untouched. Any tips of feeding?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346685204.545753.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346685233.123083.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346685252.560677.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m sorry to say that those conditions are terribly inadequate for your newts. A pair of these will require a minimum of 10 gallons of water for apropriate thermal and chemical stability. also, gravel is an impaction hazard and it traps huge amounts of debris and uneaten foods, making the maintenance of adequate water conditions very difficult. With such a deep layer of gravel, there are further problems asin the deepest parts oxygen levels may be starved and anaerobic conditions could produce toxic compounds.
The newt trying to climb the sides is a good indication that water conditions arelikely to be inhospitable.

Make sure to read this article, and i would recommend all the other CC articles too:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

You will require a larger container that can house a minimum of 10 gallons of water (more is even beter) and you´ll have to cycle the tank apropriately.
I cannot stress this enough, your animals as new purchases are severely stressed and vulnerable because their inmune systems are inhibited (the importation process from China takes a huge toll), so in order for them to recover from the ordeal they´ve gone through, they will need optimal conditions. You need to get properly informed and learn how to provide those conditions ASAP. Otherwise, the likelihood of developing infections or other problems is really high (it may happen regardless, but if their inmune systems are allowed to recover, the chances are better).

In terms of food, bloodworms are fine as part of a varied diet but make sure to remove uneaten bits. You should get your hands on some earthworms as those are the ideal staple. To add variation you can occasionally offer the bloodworms, waxworms, isopods, blancworms, whiteworms, small crickets, adequate, caudate-formulated pellets, etc...

tony1208

Reaction score
Thanks az......I have a filter now do u thin its important to have in a 10 gal tank as well? Since gravel in bad what can I use in replacement?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A filter in such a small space would be a very bad idea. These newts prefer masses of water that have the gentlest of currents or no current at all, and strong currents can cause stress and force the animals to abandon the water.
In a 10 gallon tank, or larger, a filter can be made redundant by using lots of live plants. You get the same benefits without the electric cost, the undesirable current and the heat production of the motor.
The recommendation for a minimum of 10 gallons is basically, because aside from the need for sufficient space, 10 gallons are aproximately the minimum volume required for adequate thermal stability (larger volumes fluctuate less, small volumes fluctuate very rapidly) and to prevent the rapid accumulation of toxic compounds like ammonia and nitrites, as well as buffering fluctuations of pH or hardness, etc...With less than 10 gallons, this parametres can vary rapidly, which is dangerous, plus maintaining adequate conditions requires a great deal of attention, whereas with a sufficiently large volume, maintenance can be greatly reduced allowing also for more stable conditions, which is greatly benefitial.
You can safely use fine sand instad of gravel, just make sure to have a thin layer, no deper than an inch to avoid the formation of anaerobic pockets. Alternatively you can have no substrate at all which facilitates feeding and cleaning.
The CC articles are linked in my signature, i strongly recommend reading them all with an emphasis on the water quality/cycling articles.
For further information you can also browse the help section for older, related threads, or the Cynops/Hypselotriton advanced section. You can also use the search function to locate threads that discuss specific topics.
Read, read until your eyes are sore!

tony1208

Reaction score
Ty.... Just got the 10gal tank and sand I'll finish this project tonight after work

tony1208

Reaction score
7avy9uby.jpg
pehu9e4e.jpg

Here is the new setup... I'm going to drain some more of the water out and add more rocks .

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You're better off adding more water and getting rid of the rocks all together. This species is mostly aquatic and only needs a small land area. You can fulfill that need with a mat of floating plants, a piece of cork bark, or commercial floating islands.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, i meant 10 gallons of water, not 10 gallons of total volume, hehe.

tony1208

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.... they like staying out of the water most of the time that's why I gave them more dry area. Now that I think about it they have been out the water all afternoon .

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That´s to be expected since the whole tank is new and the cycling process has barely started at all. You have to keep in eye on the parametres and make daily 20% water changes to avoid the build up of dangeorus compounds. It will take aproximately a month to complete the process at which point you can start making weekly/biweekly water changes.
The newts are likely to avoid the water until it is stable and hospitable to them. You can use a piece of floating cork bark for them to haul onto, which allows you to fill the tank with water and take advantage of the full volume.
Let me insist again on the invaluable advantages of using ridiculous amounts of live plants. Specially if you have dense masses of plants floating near the surface, the newts will feel a lot more comfortable and venture in the water earlier. It will also be safer as being able to grab onto plants and stand on them prevents drowning (open spaces can be dangerous if the newts go into terrestrial mode).

tony1208

Reaction score
Thanks again az you have been a huge help. I want these little guys happy and healthy. The plant I have in there is fake I'll probably buy another for the other side. Now the floating bark is found in a local pet shop? Can I use a floating frog leap pad instead?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I suposse. One of those turtle docks with suckers would work too. The thing is it should be something that doesn´t occupy much volume so that you can have as much water as possible.
Yeah, i see the fake plant. It´s up to you what you decide to do....but really, live plants (LOTS of them) would make a huge difference...If you decide to use fake plants, i at least hope you acquire a decent brand of testing gear, as there will be ammonia/nitrite spikes and you better be able to know when that happens so that you can react. Specially since the newts are already showing obvious signs of severe stress and look rather thin, you want to keep water quality variations to an absolute minimum...

I´ll insist one last time. Copious amounts of live plants would be hugely benefitial. Consider them.

jasper408

Reaction score
I used one of those turtle docks, and the plastic/rubber smell was HORRIBLE. It was so bad it made the water stink. I am now using cork bark and have never looked back.

I don't know what is in your area, but Petco should carry both. As an added bonus, they also have those plants in those plastic cylinders(anubias and java fern for example), and have aquatic plants (elodea,hornwort,wisteria, etc.) in tanks for sale as well. Be careful about the latter- I wouldn't buy it unless it was separated from the fish.

tony1208

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.. Az I thought they needed dry land a a little water to swim that's why I didn't fill the tank up higher I was worried they would drown lol..I'll fill it up half ways once I get a bark so they can go on that.... Today one is at the edge of the rocks seems like he wants to go in the water but still hasn't and the other is still laying in the corner... Good thing I feed them yesterday am...

tony1208

Reaction score
egeba6eg.jpg

This guy ate a few blood worms tweezer feed by my this morning and is starting to show interest in the water . The other one wouldn't eat and is a lot smaller than the one in the picture, but he does like the water . The one that won't eat runs away from the blood worms lol I have to try something else for him because he needs to eat ASAP .

AngieD

Reaction score
Is he running away from the tweezers? My juvenile used to back away fro the tweezers, and then eat the bloodworms off the floor of his tub
Try putting some food in a cave, nervous newts seem to like having somewhere to eat in private.

We used to have a marbled newt that wouldn't eat, so we put it in a ventilated plastic box with some food, and put that box in a cardboard box so it was in the dark. Half an hour later the food was gone.

Sometimes all they need to get eating is a private place in the dark.

Hope this helps

tony1208

Reaction score
Little update on my two fb newts.
They are both doing well one eats more than the other.
Blood worms is what I been feeding them.
This guy just loves them and is the aggressive one of the two and bigger, tweezer feed him and he loves it .ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348323762.096320.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348323775.236661.jpg

This guy is the skinner of the two he eats one blood worm every feeding only I dunno how he survives. He is a lot thinner but still active in water and land.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348323855.467155.jpg

I will try feeding them breshrimp I believe it's called or earth worms this week and hopefully the skinny guy will eat more.

Here is the tank setup so far I switch it around every week or two they both love the water now esp the bigger one.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348323980.435294.jpg

jane1187

Reaction score
They are looking quite happy now, well done.

Regarding the smaller one, do you still try to tweaser feed? They will take bloodworms from the floor of the tank so maybe if you leave a few bloodworm in there he may eat more than just one.

Earthworms are a good idea, but don't do brineshrimp (I think that's what you meant but there was a typo), they make a right mess in the tank since they're small creatures. Yours should take some small earthworms easily. They'll like that they wriggle too and it will get them feeding actively.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You really need to put more water in that. This species is almost fully aquatic under normal conditions. You can at least fill it to the top of your island.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1