Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brainstorming Questions

Phoenix2016

Reaction score
Hi! My dude D’Art seems to be happy, however I worry that in his 20 Long tank he doesn’t really have room to swim, just sort of move around.

Do they care?

Well, Petco has a huge sale on tanks and I ended up with a 40gal breeder for $55! I can of course return it. But is that too too big? I mean I can always get another lotl once I am comfortable that I’ve mastered this, but that will be awhile.

Next random but related question: the only place I can think to put this huge tank is in this “cubby” type thing in the wall. It’s for books etc, but it starts at ground level and I’d like the tank to sit a bit higher. I can’t afford an actual fish tank base, but the cubby is tall enough that I could use brick or wood to essentially build a base. Of course there would be a buffer between that and the glass. I just thought some of you all might have other ingenious ideas!
image.jpg

JJs axies

Reaction score
Hey! for your first question: you can use a 40 breeder for your axolotl, it should not be too big for him. I was going to use a 40 breeder for one axolotl but my mom liked them so much we got another one lol

As for the second question: i dont think that that would work... you have to keep in mind that water weighs A LOT 1 gallon is around 8 pounds! so about 320 pounds would be sitting on your cubby...
Hope this helps!

wolfen

Reaction score
all animals like a large area to roam, it's more the case that humans are insistent that the area needs to be filled or else it looks empty, 40 gallon would be very good for him just make sure it is cycled and everything is ready for him.
as to the cubby idea there are a couple of things to be aware of, one would be the weight, the tank alone can be up to 150 kg once filled then if you are also using bricks this can then be over 200 kg, will the floor be able to take the weight ie.. is it concrete or wood, also if it is wood but can take the weight you still need to make sure that the flooring wont be affected in the case of a leak or burst tank, which leads me to the second issue which would be protecting the mains sockets from any water damage.
I'm not saying it can't be done just that there are a lot of things to think about and work out before putting things in action.
if the walls themselves are brick then cross beams can be used to take the weight and putting it onto the walls rather than the floor.
old solid wood unit (before they started using chip board in everything) can be used as they are quite sturdy.
as for under the tank polystyrene panels can be used as they will cushion the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1