Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Cynops Orientalis

Fingolfin

Reaction score
Hey, I am almost 100% new to the newt and salamander world, and last year I acquired four fire bellied newts off craigslist. I have fed them blood worms and occasionally pellet food and brine shrimp for a varied diet. A few days ago, I noticed some eggs!
489efe97fbb50247ebef8cb2887eaa84.jpg
yes, I know they are infertile, but I was wondering, how does one go about breeding them? Thanks!
(Side note: They share an aquarium with a couple dwarf frogs and guppies, but I have never had any problems, I will remove them shortly though as I have heard bad things about mixed species.)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Fingolfin

Reaction score
Hey thanks, I looked last night and I could not find any threads lol, I must have spelt somthing wrong

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
Why do you say they're infertile? It takes longer than a few days for them to visibly change shape all that much, they could well be viable.

Fingolfin

Reaction score
If they are not, that would be awesome, but they are sort of whitish, I just assumed that is correct??? A few more have been deposited since then, if they are indeed fertile that would make my day

AuSu

Reaction score
I wondered colour too in the beginning as I had seen only frog eggs in the nature (they look black to my eye). If the egg sack ( what's that in English...) goes cloudy and starts molding, then you know they aren't good. If it stays clear you'll slowly notice the white/light gray middle starting to shape as a baby newt ��

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!