Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding fire bellies???

frogman

Reaction score
I have three fire bellies in a 20 gallon tank. I will get more as some of my other animals die off. I just want to know how to breed them. Like the cooling of the tank. Also i would like to see pics of other peoples success(tank, eggs, tadpoles, etc)

frogman

Reaction score
Here are the pics of the tank.

Attachments

• CIMG3957.jpg
    CIMG3957.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 19,593

SpaceCadetHayde

Reaction score
Is that not the same tank you showed for your T. Kweichowensis? The water area looks awfully deep for fire-bellied toads. I wouldn't advise attempting to breed anything until you can keep your other animals adequately enough so they don't "die off".

frogman

Reaction score
Somebody recommended that i keep them in quarantine for a while. When that is done i will move them into a terrestrial habitat. It is not very big. I would get a bigger tank if my mom said yes.

SpaceCadetHayde

Reaction score
Good idea on moving them to a terrestrial set-up. I'd recommend focusing on getting your other animals back in good health before attempting to breed anything. Saying your animals are "dying off" doesn't sound too promising for any bombina tadpoles.

If you can't get any larger tanks, how would you plan on taking care of dozens of tadpoles? Space is a huge issue. Cramming more animals than can comfortably fit into a tank will cause them lots of stress.

4 WC and already stressed kweichows in a tank too small for them isn't going to help them recover. Your space and size requirements are something to think about before purchasing or breeding any animals. If your mom says you can't get a tank large enough for them, don't get them.

Breeding animals can leave you with several tanks or rubbermaid tubs filled with water, plants and hides. It requires a ton of effort to make sure the animals are fed and in good health. These are big shoes you plan on stepping into.

Last edited:

frogman

Reaction score
I meant dyeing over time. I have two 10 gallon tanks that are free. The newts are in a 10 gallon tank now with moss bark and wet paper towels and food. She says i cant get bigger tanks. I had a 20 gallon for them and set it up for aquatic. Now i cant use it for them. I am left with half of a 40 gallon critter cage. I have a sheet of cork bark and the supplies to make any type of terrarium i want. You name it i have it. For food i have crickets, mealworms, pellets, feeder fish, water striders, frozen pinkey mice, and night crawler/earthworms.

SpaceCadetHayde

Reaction score
Newts are incredibly long-lived animals. You may be waiting a long while before they die of old age or anything.

Honestly, I don't feel like you're reading/understanding the responses you're getting. I'm not trying to be rude. I've seen several threads with you asking for advice and you doing the opposite. i.e. setting up an aquatic tank for kweichows after being shown several terrestrial set-ups, being told that breeding shouldn't be your main concern, etc.

If you have any more questions, feel free to message me privately. I hate to flood the board with the same responses to the same questions.

Edit: None of those food choices are very good staple foods except for earth worms. Unless you are dusting your crickets and mealworms they are nutritionally incomplete and the mice and fish are very high in fat. Have you read the Caudata Culture food articles?

Last edited:

frogman

Reaction score
I have read all the articles several times on caudata culture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1