Breeding Gray Treefrogs indoors

vincent

Reaction score
Country
England
:frog:Hi I hope this helps I have bred Greys Treefrogs in doors WITHOUT THE USE of hormones or in a green house so here is what I found works I have done it in bullet point style hope you find it useful.Keep in groups of no less than 8 animals. Palladium [swamp style viv] taller than wide.Plenty of branches ,plants both live and plastic i water and out. Feed usual stuff crickets flies etc Temp spring to autumn 70-80f winter cool down then hibernate from 1st October to 1st of January temp for hibernation went down to minus 6 c with no losses. I brought them out of hibernation 1st of January put in a cool vivarium for two weeks then I warmed them up.Males called from February onwards :eek: Males smaller than females with very black throats and call .To breed place a small tank in a the window with a well ventilated lid 3inches of water 7cm's plenty of plants like elodea in water sun sets them off ,they normally spawn after 4 -5 days in tank. Spawn is in small clumps floating or individual eggs masses of it. Raise tadpoles usual way :supercool: This method works really well for Hyla Arborea aswell. This is the third time I've done it so the method works.
HAVE FUN :supercool:

Re: breeding ,greys, treefrogs ,indoors,

Thanks mate - useful post, even if the thought of minus 6c made me shiver!

I think the word you're looking for is 'Paludarium' for this style of set-up. I think Paladium is a type of theatre :D

How many of each sex do you place in the small vivarium in the window? I've got a pair of Gray Tree frogs I collected a few weeks ago and the female has yet to spawn. Aside from the window they are in identical conditions to those you describe.

How many of each sex do you place in the small vivarium in the window? I've got a pair of Gray Tree frogs I collected a few weeks ago and the female has yet to spawn. Aside from the window they are in identical conditions to those you describe.

:D Hi John I find two pairs is enough. I've got about 50 tads on the go at the moment, my young female spawned so there wasn't loads of it as some went off quite quickly.My old female hasn't spawned yet so I will try her again later. Two males to one female will work but remove the spare male when they go into amplexus.They can be in amplexus two days before they spawn so it gives you time :cool: Have fun

Technique right results wrong, lost all the tadds :eek: don't know what happened no sign of any little bodies or anything , they disappeared. Could be I was too early or female too young. This has happened to me once before with HYLA ARBOREA they went on to successfully spawn a few weeks later, so a I'll give it another go in a couple of weeks. :happy: The technique works well though.
HAVE FUN

Put the adults in a tub together for a few hours, opened tub, they were in amplexus. Put them in a large bin with some rain water, some twigs and a glass cover, gave them a view of the sky (this was all about 1 am). Checked them at 7 am, no eggs but still together. Checked them at midday - many small rafts of eggs and still laying.

Put the adults in a tub together for a few hours, opened tub, they were in amplexus. Put them in a large bin with some rain water, some twigs and a glass cover, gave them a view of the sky (this was all about 1 am). Checked them at 7 am, no eggs but still together. Checked them at midday - many small rafts of eggs and still laying.

Great, my second older female is now in amplexus but weather turned cold and damp :rolleyes: so second time lucky. Hope you do alright with yours John as they are really nice treefrogs.

Hope you do alright with yours John as they are really nice treefrogs.
Thanks Vincent. I agree wholeheartedly with you. They are surprisingly amenable to captivity. They will sit on one of my hands and I can feed them with the other hand. They aren't nervous around me.

The eggs I kept are starting to hatch today (only 48 hours after laying). I've been taking photographs for an info sheet at http://frogforum.net (my other site).

All my eggs have hatched now. I have about 150 yolk-absorbing larvae. That's about 120 too many... Anyhow, I have a question for you Vincent - how long do they take to reach metamorphosis for you?

Now someone needs to breed Hyla avivoca in captivity. I saw a few WC running around but refrained from purchase as I wasn't sure if I wanted to attempt treefrogs.

Now someone needs to breed Hyla avivoca in captivity. I saw a few WC running around but refrained from purchase as I wasn't sure if I wanted to attempt treefrogs.
Pardon my ignorance, but what's so great about Hyla avivoca?

I kept Hyla avivoca in Georgia. They are much smaller than Hyla versicolor and not quite as tame but fun to watch hunt. They also change color often to blend in with whatever I had in their enclosure. I imagine they would be as easy to breed as Hyla versicolor. Adults bred in puddles of water, around my house, that dried up after about a week or so. Tadpoles grew very fast and ate tubifex worms vigorously during metamorphosis. Here is a couple pictures-
file.php

file.php

That is the same frog by the way. Sorry for bad picture quality.

Cute little guys. How long ago did you live in Georgia?

Here are some photos of my Hyla versicolor :

Embryos at 4 hours:
file.php

Mom:
file.php

Dad:
file.php

I saw my first Hyla avivoca tonight. Really pretty frog - like a slender Hyla versicolor. I didn't photograph it though because it had some kind of eye problem. Still, a lovely tree frog.

I heard my first greys calling outside just a couple of days ago now. The peepers are still calling (but they started really late this year, almost the middle of April) and the Hyla andersoni should start calling in 2-3 weeks.

Ed

Pardon my ignorance, but what's so great about Hyla avivoca?

The call is pretty tough to beat!(but I've only listened to clips of both sp. online). I think they'd be great vivarium inhabitants.

All my eggs have hatched now. I have about 150 yolk-absorbing larvae. That's about 120 too many... Anyhow, I have a question for you Vincent - how long do they take to reach metamorphosis for you?

Hi John been a bit busy so I' m sorry I've just got around to your question , mine hatched one year within 24 hrs and had completely metamorphosed within 6 weeks .A word of advice John keep the first ones for yourself then sell or release the rest. I sold the first ones that became frogs and kept the later ones for myself it took 12mths for them to all die off the first 40 are still going strong still thats nature.A pity you cant send them across the pond I would have a few off you
HAVEFUN:happy:

I sold the first ones that became frogs and kept the later ones for myself it took 12mths for them to all die off the first 40 are still going strong still thats nature.A pity you cant send them across the pond I would have a few off you
HAVEFUN:happy:
Hi Vincent,

That's interesting. So you're saying that only the ones that grow fast will be strong and worth keeping?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back