Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

broken-striped newts

slowfoot

Reaction score
It's time for another 6-month update :D

The adults are right in the middle of a breeding and egg-laying frenzy. I was actually planning on introducing Sneaky to his parents' tank soon because he's outgrown his little one, but I think I'll wait until the adult male is done amplexing anything that moves. It's a little hard to get any good shots of the adults because of all the activity.

The male looking sexy:

DSC01718.JPG

Full of eggs (at 7 months pregnant, I feel about the same :eek:)

DSC01723.JPG

The efts during their cage cleaning/worm eating:

DSC01724.JPG

This little guy might have the prettiest colors and patterns:

DSC01726.JPG

This little guy wanted to eat the camera!

DSC01727.JPG

DSC01728.JPG

Finally getting something to eat:

DSC01729.JPG

slowfoot

Reaction score
Time for an update :happy:

Here's the adult male:
jan12_2.jpg

Sneaky, a young male:
jan12_3.jpg

And another young adult male, fresh from the eft phase:
jan12_1.jpg

slowfoot

Reaction score
Thanks, guys!

It's interesting that I can tell the sex of most of the efts now. The males all seem to have thick back legs and sparser, larger spots on the tail. The females are much larger and rounder. The 'male' efts spend a lot more time hanging out at the water's edge. I'm guessing that in the wild, new adult males arrive at the breeding ponds first and wait for females.

I hope a few more of my babies decide to return to the water soon... They're just so much easier to keep and feed aquatically.

jay2ee

Reaction score
Is it possible to purchase adult Notos anymore? Always had some as a kid, as they were common in the pet trade then?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1