Brown algea? Fire belly newt tank

Punjiljh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 and a half weeks ago I noticed this brown like stain on my sand I thought this was just newt waste and thought nothing off it.
So last week it got substantially bigger so when I don't my water change I used the siphon to vacume 90% of it out all that I could see.
I've just got home today and it's effectively trippled of what it used to be !
Here's the picture I just took
IMG_20160422_161438.jpg
Bad right ...
I've ordered a little nerite snail to see if he wants to eat it up

Is there anything that's causing this or anything I could do to prevent or stop this happening

Thank you.

I'm not sure what it's called, but I think it's a bacterial bloom rather than algae(?). It's very common in newish aquariums, I have it in my 20 gallon Alpine newt tank at the moment and have had it in my other tanks at some point. It generally goes crazy for a few weeks, then either burns itself out completely or at least reduces to a very low level.
I think my rams horn snails eat it off wide leafed plants and the glass, but not quick enough to stop it spreading everywhere. I'm just doing the same as you with the siphon hose, but I'm sure it will eventually disappear on it's own.

Sorry if this is too old to comment on, but it should also help newbies too.
Brown algae. Nothing to be afraid of. I have tropical fish and when ever I set up a new tank, the brown algae comes first, then the grean. It can go as fast as it comes. It looks unsightly, but will clear. Fully cycled tanks will only get the green algae. Lots of ight causes it, just like green algae. Hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back