Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brown axo's

H

henk

Here are some headshots of the brown axolotl morph

34004.jpg

34005.jpg

34006.jpg

A

andy

Very nice Henk, you take some amazing photographs! Here is one of my axies,
34009.jpg

mike

Reaction score
Interesting animal Andy, with such dark colouration, how did you get it to metamorphose, and was it a "wild type"?
I have read that they do not survive too long after morphing, what is your experience?

A

andy

Hi Mike, this wildtype was one i bred and it morphed naturally at about six months. The picture was taken about three weeks after metamorphosis and it has since taken on a slightly more adult appearance, i'll post a more recent picture over the next few days. Why it morphed i cant answer, it was in a tank with several siblings that remain unchanged.
The question of it not living long crossed my mind as this does seem to often be the case, but on further investigation it seems that short lived "morpholotls" are usually artificially induced, this one seems to be fine at the moment and i'd be surprised if it didn't live a normal life

C

cynthia

The brown axolotls are quite attractive.

I have noticed that the aussies post quite a few pictures of brownish/cinnamon colored axolotls. Does anyone in the US have any that color? Anyone? Anyone? (echo echo echo)

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
They are around but I can't remember where. I had some a couple years ago.

H

henk

Thanks for the compliments on the shots, though I guess the models are in there for something too.
I have a shot of a metamorhpsed white one.. will see if I can post it.
I really adore this brown ones, but they seem to be a bit more difficult to raise (at least I'm having a bit of trouble with them).

C

cynthia

Michael, did you have problems with the brown ones that you had?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Cynthia,

I had problems finding room to keep all of the different types of axolotls. I hatched them out and passed them on.
Michael

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1