Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bubble on her side?

lilmiklo916

Reaction score
I was staring at my female newt and I noticed she had a large bubble on her side with one hole in it I was just wondering if its a disease or is she just shedding. The pic is in my album under skink vs newts

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its impossible to guess from that picture I'm afraid. If anything, it looks like the newt is bloated, but I'm not sure. You really need to get a proper picture that's in reasonable focus before I can offer anything more helpful.

lilmiklo916

Reaction score
I've read that when they're babies they prefer land so I just did half land and half water and I plan on as they get bigger put aquatic plants and cork hides and maybe a sunken drift wood

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
If you got it from a petshop its more than likely not a juvenile, and its not entering the water due to stress. And even juveniles can be raises aquatically, and thats what most people who breed this specie tends to do nowadays.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't advise it, if you wanted a terrestrial animal, you probably should have gotten something like a tiger salamander.
In my opinion, it is a lot harder to feed a good staple diet to small terrestrial newts, but that may just be me.
The care for the animal is more important than the personal preference of the owner, if you buy a pet you should learn how to take care of it properly

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its quite possible to keep H. orientalis on land for part of the year, but they still need a healthy cycled aquarium for the spring/summer breeding season.
The newts you have there will be highly stressed and need perfect conditions in order to recover and adapt to captivity, the most successful set up we know of for them at this stage is a cold, heavily planted aquarium. It really isn't difficult or expensive to set one up, there's no need for filters or heaters and as long as there's enough natural light for the plants to grow, no special lighting is needed either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1