Bubbles or bumps in stomache?!?

TinyDragons

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I am new to Axolotls but already very much a fan. And in that sense deeply worried over every little thing I may be doing wrong.

I got two Axolotls almost month ago, one Leucistic(sp?) with the glowing gene and one normal wild type.

The white one, Merlin, is worrying me because he has what I think may be air bubbles inside him. Looking at his left side, it looks almost like a pea pod with three peas/bumps or bubbles in a row.

At least, I think they are bubbles. He is so see-through I am almost constantly looking at him and wondering what exactly i am looking at, aka organs or etc. I don't think they are organs though....

I put a few sadly blurry pics in the attachments as I was not sure how else to insert and image from my comp.

The wild type has no bumps on his body.

And for more information-they are both on sand, juveniles at 2-1/2 inches and have good appetites. They are eating voraciously everyday, with a diet of earthworms and sometimes blood-worms or pellets for a treat as variety. The water is a steady 62 F and I have a low current sponge filter, as well as an air stone that lets only one or two bubbles out at a time. They are not floating, curling their gills or tail and are not shy or skittish.

But those bumps are freaking me out and I am losing sleep over it. I also do not have a fridge that will go above 4c!

What do you think the bumbps are? What can I do besides fridging? Is it really bad?? I am new to this, please help!

Attachments

• IMG_8564.JPG
    IMG_8564.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,540
  • IMG_8576.JPG
    IMG_8576.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_8611.JPG
    IMG_8611.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 787
If they are both behaving normally & eating & pooping then that's a big Phew :)

The bumps could be internal organs full of food - he certainly looks like he's a healthy weight :) were they ever kept on gravel or pebbles? If not then hopefully it's nothing to worry about - keep an eye out for anything unusual. It's not unusual to be a panicky new parent - we all do it :eek:

Here's a pic of their anatomy so it might be possible to look like lumps.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361346664.871453.jpg

Keep us updated please :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Hi,

Sorry, the photos are a little blurred, it's hard to make the lumps out and ascertain how far they distend out from the belly (I can see them, but can't quite see them properly due to water distortion).

Are you able to take the axolotl out of the tank, place him in a shallow tub/container/bowl with just enough water to cover his back, and then take some further photos from above and looking down at the axolotl (bird's eye view) and some further photos of the side?

If you lightly touch the lumps, do they feel hard (like stones) or are they soft?

Here is a guide on how to post photos from your computer:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen...hnical-not-newts/55492-how-post-pictures.html

Welcome to the forum! :happy:

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies, and sorry for the typos!

I don't think they were ever kept on gravel/rocks. A breeder was going through a show circuit for amphibians and my fish store was able to get some axolotls as this vender was passing through.

Supposedly he is a good breeder, I never met him or anything but my fish store is one of the best fish store/ pet stores I've gone too, and they research things seriously. So I assume he knew what substrate, or not, to use but I can't be sure. At the fish store the axolotls were only in sand covered tanks. And I have never had any gravel in my tanks.

Also I don't think Merlin had these bubbles, or at least not so apparent, when I got him.

I will definitely stare at that anatomy photo, thank you Nikki!

Jacquie, I did as you asked and gently slipped Merlin into a small tupperware to try and take photos. But I couldn't seem to get a good shot, still. I have gotten clear photos from it before so I will probably try again later, I don't want to stress him too much at a time.

I also tried to touch his side, but the little guy kept snapping at me, which I expected of course, but made me jump every time haha. I can't tell if they are hard or soft because he wouldn't stay still!

I will keep monitoring and updating.

:(

Keep an eye on him &
please let us know how it goes.

I'll keep fingers crossed that it's all
just normal axolotl stuff :)

<3 >o_o< <3

My axolotl has exactly the same thing, but the thing is she can't go down she just keeps floating she is much better now but I can still she the bubble:( but she has a bare bottom, no ammonia (0 ppm) and no nitrite (0 ppm) I have a biological filter for her java fern plants, PVC pipes and I change 50% or 25% every 5 days, I have no clue whats happening to her she is a juvenile and is 4 months old she is a golden albino and eats frozen blood-worms, I feed her every day she has a 15 gallon tank she isn't bothered by it but I am since she isn't having any stress (curling tail, curled gills, isn't pale) her water temp is 20 degrees C or 21 C, I know that is a little too high but its the best I can do, yes i do use declorinator and bacteria I cycled her tank before I got her she isn't over weight and looks completely healthy but the 2 tiny bumps that occasionally make her float and go away make me worried. If anyone has suggestions or want pics I will do so please help!
Thanks
Albi the axolotl!

My axolotl has exactly the same thing, but the thing is she can't go down she just keeps floating she is much better now but I can still she the bubble:( but she has a bare bottom, no ammonia (0 ppm) and no nitrite (0 ppm) I have a biological filter for her java fern plants, PVC pipes and I change 50% or 25% every 5 days, I have no clue whats happening to her she is a juvenile and is 4 months old she is a golden albino and eats frozen blood-worms, I feed her every day she has a 15 gallon tank she isn't bothered by it but I am since she isn't having any stress (curling tail, curled gills, isn't pale) her water temp is 20 degrees C or 21 C, I know that is a little too high but its the best I can do, yes i do use declorinator and bacteria I cycled her tank before I got her she isn't over weight and looks completely healthy but the 2 tiny bumps that occasionally make her float and go away make me worried. If anyone has suggestions or want pics I will do so please help!
Thanks
Albi the axolotl!
hello, i think that you make your own thread about this and post pics of your axolotl as well, because this is a very old thread. (This thread is from 2013!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back