Bufo Alvarius

lims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sam
Does anyone know the best/most amphibian friendly way to acquire Bufo alvarius in the UK?

cheers

I think this should be in the 'WANTED' section of the forums.

Sorry I can't help you with acquiring one.

It is very hard to get one in the US, let alone outside the US. These animals are considered a "controlled substance", due to their psychoactive toxins, in many places. It is against the law to transport them outside the sates they reside in, and I believe Arizona is the only state they live in which you can posses one legally. There is quite a bit of discussion of this species over on frogforum.net, and some excellent care information too. Many of the ones available outside the home range were originally taken illegally, or were bred for illegal stock. There are some available from legitimate sources from time to time, but they are scant.

I highly suggest you research the laws in your area before attempting to get them.

Actually Johnny, possession of the toad in the US is perfectly legal, with the exception of New Mexico. It's the collected venom that's illegal.

Depends on the state/locality I guess, they are illegal here in Omaha and Bellevue, Nebraska, sadly.

That explains a lot :).

The funny part is, they do not show up in any laws involving wild life or pets. The toxin involved is not listed in the drug laws, but the toad itself is!

The toxin involved is not listed in the drug laws, but the toad itself is!

Do you have a reference for the law specifying this? It seems rather odd.

B. alvarius is certainly legal to keep in the UK, but is extremely rare in the pet trade- I've only seen them advertised once, and it was for a ridiculous price. If you're just after an enormous toad that will cost you a fortune to heat, and eat you out of house and home, then B. marinus is probably a better choice.

Incidentally, it seems that they've also been referred to as Cranopsis alvaria, Ollotis alvaria, and Incilius alvarius over the last few years.

Do you have a reference for the law specifying this? It seems rather odd.

Aye it is odd, this part of the midwest seems to be a bit backwards at times. I am working on getting a transcript of the actual document. My reference at the moment is from a conversation with the folks down at City Hall a while back. The moment I said Sonoran Desert toad, they knew exactly what I was asking about...which is even more odd as most of these folks do not realize there is more than one "kind" of toad around here.;) I will get a link or transcript up as soon as I have it in hand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back