Bufo (????) cognatus

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
Like everything else in Nebraska, they finally showed up in droves and began breeding last night during our torrential thunderstorms. Odd, because I heard a few males calling near my house starting quite a few weeks ago. Thankfully, I was at work and on lunch when the first storm hit.

Thirty-one B. cognatus in 20 minutes! Males calling out right and left! Females everywhere! My coworkers making numerous comments about the weirdo from maintenance playing in the rain!;)

Anyway, while double checking my pictures of them (don't tell I had my camera with me, it is a no-no in the plant...;)) I have found that the same animal is listed as both Bufo cognatus and Anaxyrus cognatus.

It appears that recently there has been a taxonomic change made to Bufo.

So is it Bufo cognatus, Bufo anaxyrus cognatus or Anaxyrus cognatus?

Am I completely confused over nothing?

(pictures to in the gallery)

Last edited:
This link should be able to answer your question. I personally have a hard time calling them anything but Bufo, I guess it's going to take sometime to get used to.

Ive been calling them Bufo for 30 years. Im not stopping now....lol

file.php

For what it's worth, most people haven't made the change because the evidence is really marginal (case of splitters taking over the world). Amphibiaweb hasn't made the switch and I follow them (all hail!).

I love Bufo cognatus - nervous little chaps but awesomely loud (loudest in the US?).

-John

file_2445.jpg

file_2443.jpg

They are neat little critters!

I had never seen one till I moved here a few years back. I love the "screaming steel" call.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back