Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bufo debilis feeding problem

mrthomasjohansson

Reaction score
Hi terrarians!

I keep a small group of Bufo debilis. I have a great problem with them. First of all they do not eat very well. Second, they only eat meal worms (which is poor food)... They also have a very stressed behaviour... They try to stretch themselves and climb on the glass sidewalls of the tank when anyone approach the tank. Please, help me with advice!

Does anyone know one or many good feeding solution/-s to the problems above?

Sincerely
Thomas

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
It sounds as if they are stressed. Cover the transparent sides of the tank and give them lots of places to hide.

I've never known any amphibian refuse waxmoth larvae.

mrthomasjohansson

Reaction score
Hi AJC!

I appriciate your answers. I will try the solutions of yours to see what kind of response they generate in return or not.

If you or anyone else have any more suggestions for my feeding problems with the toads, do not hesitate to reply to me.

Sincerely
Thomas

kj1

Reaction score
Hi, i have read in a book, that you should cover there cage for a few days when you first get them, to try and min the stress. Also i had some off these have you tried feeding them some beetles ???

mrthomasjohansson

Reaction score
Hi, i have read in a book, that you should cover there cage for a few days when you first get them, to try and min the stress. Also i had some off these have you tried feeding them some beetles ???
I have had them for almost over 8 months now... They have this type of behavior only when I try to introduce food to them in front of them.

Any more suggestions as a solution?

Cheers
Thomas

Kurt

Reaction score
Mine east small crickets and fruit flies, he has good body weight as well. I have had him for a few years now and he is still a spaz.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea if these have been bred before? I saw some at a petstore. Quite neat...stay small, and very active. What more can you ask of a pet toad?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1